1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Hi, newbie :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Hi, newbie :)

Hi all let me introduce myself. My name is Mat im from Wales Uk. very usefull site i must say has allot of info.

Im about to buy my big first full sus purchase. I have read allot of things about different bikes over the last few weeks. As the welsh vallys are great for trails and mountain im looking for something of an all rounder.

I just come from my LBS where i sat on the Scott Genius MC-30 08 and the Commencial Meta 552 08 as these are the two bikes i am most intrested in.

The problem i have is deciding between the two. I know a few stores have a cracking sale on for the Meta but the cost is not a factor for me with these two bikes because i have thought about that.

Can anyone help me decide? Does anyone have experiance of either?

Iv heard great things about both bike but im not sure about the long term usage (if things go wrong after a while)

Some advice on choosing would be great thanks

Mat

Ride the dream
    Personally, I would go with the Commencal - but then im not a big fan of Scott.

You say you sat on both - did one feel better than the other (to you)?

Those trails in wales are awesome (live just across the border, right where the m5 meets the m50)... Love going across to Afan and Cwmcarn
    Theres some nice places in northwales too - brilliant country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    Personally, I would go with the Commencal - but then im not a big fan of Scott.

You say you sat on both - did one feel better than the other (to you)?

Those trails in wales are awesome (live just across the border, right where the m5 meets the m50)... Love going across to Afan and Cwmcarn
    Theres some nice places in northwales too - brilliant country.

thanks for the reply,

It was the MC-40 i sat on (my bad) but the Commencal didnt have pedals so i couldnt sit on it as i would have liked but they both felt comfy.....

your not far then? Im only a few miles from cwmcarn but there are some great places on my doorstep aswell its all good for mountain biking. Do you come over often?

Ride the dream
    When I can - I dont drive... so can only get over when my riding buddy is going over - though most weeks we go somewhere - had a good one last week, went up north to Coed Llandegla in north wales (wrexham) which was really good. Whites level at afan is another I realy like, and Cwmcarn (Twrch) is a great trail too.

Theres some great riding in Wales in general, both north and south - its great

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    When I can - I dont drive... so can only get over when my riding buddy is going over - though most weeks we go somewhere - had a good one last week, went up north to Coed Llandegla in north wales (wrexham) which was really good. Whites level at afan is another I realy like, and Cwmcarn (Twrch) is a great trail too.

Theres some great riding in Wales in general, both north and south - its great

Thats wicked, what bike do you ride?

Ride the dream
    Me? Rocky Mountain - etsX-30 (2007), heavily upgraded.

Really nice bike - and RM are good with warrenties, which was important when I chose it because the design (well, the 03,04 and some 05) did have some failures earlier in life - seems to be mostly sorted now though, and it rides well.

Its all very much personal choice, what feels great to some wont for others (I guess thats why we arent all riding one brand).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Me? Rocky Mountain - etsX-30 (2007), heavily upgraded.

Really nice bike - and RM are good with warrenties, which was important when I chose it because the design (well, the 03,04 and some 05) did have some failures earlier in life - seems to be mostly sorted now though, and it rides well.

Its all very much personal choice, what feels great to some wont for others (I guess thats why we arent all riding one brand).

Yea i would love to have a ride on the two bikes im looking at, i didnt bother asking the guy in the shop cous it was lashing down with rain and im pretty sure he wouldn't have let me anyway...