1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Hi from the newbie

New guy here, be gentle.
    I've got the "bike-jones" bAAAD!! Brief hx, I grew up just riding around my house, streets etc. I've NEVER been trail or long road rides.
    Now..43..married, 2 kids 9 and 12 and we camp. Kept seeing bikers/campers together. Have a new buddy who is a marathon rider and we talk a lot about biking and his adventures.
    Been wanting a bike to try but didn't want to spend the $$ on something I wasn't sure I'd follow thru with. My mom works at a local walmart and she picked me up a basic, Pee Wee Herman looking bike for 20 bucks on clearance. 26 inch WHITEWALL tires. haha. foot brakes, no gears. IT's been perfect for me to find the child in me and share that with my kids. Perfect enough that I'm willing to take the next step. Iwant to get a good, NOT professional bike. I like the mountain type. I would, I think, enjoy the off road adventures of
    camping and bike riding.
    I'm not asking for advice yet, just introducing and reading your posts a lot. Just wanted to say HI and greet everyone.
    If anyone wants to give advice to new bikers, not new bikes, I'm open. I'm still looking at bikes. I'm slow at decisions like this. I don't like to waste money. But I want to be safe and fun.
    Mark

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

First bit of advice, enjoy the cruiser. Like you described, just tool around the neighborhood and find the kid in yourself. Best bit of advice i can give you. Lastly, take your time and research, and when you buy, buy what's right for you and not what's right for the next guy.

Again, enjoy. It sounds like you're well on your way to finding what you need.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikentn
    New guy here, be gentle.
    Mark
    Welcome- Enjoy your two wheels- Riding can be contagious so I am willing to bet your whole family will be mtbiking and camping and enjoying the summer ahead!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks. I live in a rural area here in Tennessee. We have a two lane country road that is great for biking, but to be honest..I"m scared to death on it. I know one friend of mine has already had a near death accident and ended up with a broken leg, but he's fine now.
    I want to get out on it and just cruise and sweat and feel the burn some, but I think I'm going to have to go elsewhere. Thing is this:
    What makes a road safe??? What precuations do I need to take???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikentn
    Thanks. I live in a rural area here in Tennessee. We have a two lane country road that is great for biking, but to be honest..I"m scared to death on it. I know one friend of mine has already had a near death accident and ended up with a broken leg, but he's fine now.
    I want to get out on it and just cruise and sweat and feel the burn some, but I think I'm going to have to go elsewhere. Thing is this:
    What makes a road safe??? What precuations do I need to take???
    I too am in a rural area w/ the same 2 lane road. Only when my desire to commute exceeded my fear of becoming roadkill could I be comfortable. I use a headlamp and taillamp and try to wear bright clothing when necessary. I also ride the gravel quite often- either on the shoulder or another route, bypassing the pavement. The drivers here are actually mostly courteous but you may have that one person, that one time digging in her purse, or changing his radio station.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Which is why I'll never be a road rider. I only ride on trails to avoid the crazy drivers!!

local trails rider
    Got any smaller roads, paths or smoothish trails?

The bearings and other vulnerable stuff on your bike are probably not made for bouncing against rocks but that does not mean you have to stick to the black roads. Also, if you need serious braking power, you need a brake on the front wheel. Having a bike a bit like yours did not stop me from riding in all kinds of places 30 years ago... I just stood up to climb and slowed down early enough.

If you do not have a helmet yet, get one. Wearing gloves can save the skin on your hands (it has saved mine, just riding in a park). Most people need their heads and hands in servicable condition