1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Hi, I need help choosing the right bike!

As of today I dont own a bike, but I biked quite a bit of trails back in the day and loved it so now I want to get back into it. I also have biked some DH, but then I rent all the gear.

I have been looking for a bike for a while now, but I find myself running in circles between a full suspension, hard tail 26" and a hard tail 29". I want a bike that is fun on trails, but at the same time not so heavy that I can't enjoy long rides on gravel roads on the mountain.

Im concerned that if i buy a specialized trail bike it will be sitting in the basement for long periods of time. But, at the same time I don't want to chicken out and buy a bike that is between the two worlds and not fully fun in either one.

I have been in many bike shops and been recommended hard tail 26", hard tail 29" and full suspension. The bikes I have been close to buying (and is in my price range) is; Fuji Tahoe 29r 1.0, Fuji Outland 29r 1.0 and Vipera XC 7.

Hope you have some advice that can help me choose the perfect bike for me.
    woman Hight 170 cm/ 5,5 ft Weight: 58 kg/125 pounds

T.W.O.
    If you like more of a fun bike go with smaller wheel 26 the 29 can be sluggish sometime. That said if all you plan to do is long gravel ride then 29 is not a bad choice.

There are plenty of shorter riders riding 29 but in general at 5'5" it's easier to find perfect fit with 26.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for a quick and good answer.

The las thing I want is a sluggish bike. The reason I was looking at the 29 was to make up choosing a hard tail over a full suspension making it easier too go over big roots and rocky trails.

My first choice is riding trails, but since most of my friends ride long gravel, Ill have to spend some days doing that too, and I don't want to have to work twice as hard to keep up hence having second thoughts on getting a full suspension.

Have you heard of the Vipera CC 7, 26"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you are in WA-
    If you can find a 2012 Scott Scale 29 Expert in small that's a HT to look at- the fuji 17" is probably too big. The geo and seatstay compliance make the Expert a top carbon frame. Should be better than the Vipera XC 7. The 2013 model is shipping at 18% more(2800) as the 930 The 2012 is being discounted up to 15% down to 2050 from 2400 list.
    If you are in Norway- also look at
    Save a lot- Grand Canyon 29 AL 7.9(good fork) The engineered seatstays in aluminum mimic a carbon frame just less money. A 60mm stem might be needed Their carbon version will start shipping after September.
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9
    Eurobike 2011 Demo Day Report: Canyon "Grand Canyon AL 29"

These bikes are not sluggish
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    My wife is about the same height and rides a 26" hard tail. She has never had a problem getting over roots and rocks. A 29er might take a little less technique on some of the smaller stuff. You could really go either way and be happy I'm sure.

Fit is key. You need to try some bikes and get sized at a shop. Poor fit on an amazing bike and you'll be unhappy.

There are plenty of XC full sus bikes out there that won't slow you down on the flats or climbs. Stuff has come a long way from heavy FS bikes that bob when pedalled hard. Heck there are AM FS bikes that climb great if you have the muscle for the added weight of an AM bike (and your riding style justifies an AM bike). I just had someone blast past me the other day on their specialized camber while I was on my HT. Fitness was key there, but the bike definitely wasn't slowing them down.

Are Ghost bikes available where you live? They make some nice bikes that are a good deal (at least where I live they are).

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaNorway View Post
    Thank you for a quick and good answer.

The las thing I want is a sluggish bike. The reason I was looking at the 29 was to make up choosing a hard tail over a full suspension making it easier too go over big roots and rocky trails.

My first choice is riding trails, but since most of my friends ride long gravel, Ill have to spend some days doing that too, and I don't want to have to work twice as hard to keep up hence having second thoughts on getting a full suspension.

Have you heard of the Vipera CC 7, 26"?
    I googled Vipera, they are not bad but I don't know how much? If you can stick with Specialized, Giant, Cannondale or Trek it would not be a bad idea either. I know there are many good European companies but some are just unknown to the US, which makes it hard to do comparison shopping especially full suspension, not so much in hardtails.

Your budget would be a good start. When I said sluggish it's more of a handling than speed of the 29er and the 29 does better with the rocks and roots.

I'm glad that you would consider a full suspension, there are many good brands/models to choose from even for a lower budget. Giant Trance X, Trek fuel EX, Cannondale Rize, Spech camber, etc. Their entry level shares about the same ride quality as the high end model, just not as light and so on. The models I mentioned are 5" travel FS bike, I think they are very versatile good for climbing and still offer a lot of fun on the descend. They are about $1300-1500 in the US, I'm not sure how much you can get them in Norway.

Don't forget another option of getting good used bike too, again the market may not be the same as the US but you should be able to get good value bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for all the great info! Im going to look into all these bikes tomorrow. The problem is that its hard to find a lot of these bikes over here.

My price range +/- 2000 USD, but keep in mind the bikes cost a little more over here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I found a store in Oslo that has the SCOTT Scale 29 Elite 2012 and it is in my price range. Ill stop by and take a look at it tomorrow:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 2013 model is called the 950 and is shipping now. Dealers here give a 15% discount on remaining bikes. So ask for a discount. If they have an expert or pro(same frame) in small or medium ride that over a bumpy course like cobblestones to compare the rear compliance. Make the tire pressures 25lbs in both bikes tires. The back bike is a 2013 Scale 29.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi,  I need help choosing the right bike!-scott-2013.jpg  

Last edited by eb1888; 08-05-2012 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have checked all the bike-shops in town and the only one I can find of the bikes suggested is the SCOTT Scale 29 Elite 2012. The SCOTT Scale 29 Elite 2013 is not even on the Scott website and the guy at the store was surprised when I asked for the 2013 and knew what it looked like. He got even more confused when I suggested a discount on remaining bikes. I guess we are a little slow over here:-)

I am heading over to the store after work to look at the 2012 model, witch seems like an excellent bike, though not as cool looking as the 2013.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's a great bike because of the geo and the top of the line fork, totally tunable for your weight. It probably comes with air pressure for a 175lb/80k rider. You can ask them to set it for your weight per RockShox specs for the test ride and add a little on the negative air side for a plusher ride. Keep pushing him for a little discount you're an elite customer with lots of friends. Ask him to check with the Scott rep about the 2013s, maybe a prerelease order discount and a short wait for a 950 will give you a better bargaining position or a newer bike for a little more. He wants to move the product he's paid for and is on hand

To recap-
    Call him and ask him to check with his Scott rep for pricing and availability on the Scale 29 950. Who wants last years bike.
    The 2013 has a Fox fork, which is marketed as a plusher higher quality product than the Reba on the 2012.. It is harder to maintain and isn't really worth more in terms of ride quality on trail once you tune the Reba.
    Agree to a test ride of the Elite for handling and fit. Check and adjust the fork and set the tire pressure.
    Print out some pictures for him of the new bike from this thread.
    2013 Scott Complete Line - Mountain, Road, Urban, Etc
    Here's some more specs
    Scale 950 25.77 pounds
    Alloy 6061 frame
    Fox 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD air/ remote lockout
    Shimano SLX shifter/fr der/ xtr rear der(not new Shadow Plus clutch type)
    Shimano BL-M505 brake levers and hydr. disc brakes (Not as good as M666SLX)
    Shimano FC-M552 Crankset
    Syncros handlebar, stem, seatpost, seat 2.5 LEVEL (Scott bought Synchros)
    Formula hub front/Shimano FH-M595 Disc Hub
    DT Swiss Champion Spokes

Test ride a small Expert or Pro if available for carbon frame. The 930 is Expert 2013.

Maintain your interest in the 2013 and make him sell you the 2012 if you like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The other bike I suggested you consider may also act at least as a bargaining chip.
    The Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9 has a Fox fork like the Scott 950 and is 1299euros + shipping.
    Shipping to Oslo isshipping of bicycles: 50.34 + 14.20 Bikeguard box-. from the shipping terms area of their site. This frame is engineered for the compliance in the rear of a carbon frame. Their smallest size is a medium 17.3" equivalent. So it might be a loose fit as far as reach. Depends on your arm length dimensions. Print out a picture and specs for it as a bargaining tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi,  I need help choosing the right bike!-grand-canyon-al-29.jpg  

mtbr member
    TinaNorway, I went through a similar process as you looking for a first bike. I looked at 29ers HT and FS 26" bikes. I am 5'8" and had a hard time finding a 29er that fit me right. My favorite was a Scott Scale. After riding and talking with the LBS, they also suggested that I try the Scott Spark. Best decision I ever made. I love my Spark and have put over 100 miles on it in a very short time. I ride a lot of gravel, roots and small rocks. The FS saves my backside and makes the whole ride enjoyable......and it is nice on pavement with the lockout features, too. Ride as many as you can, but get what feels the best to you. good luck and happy trails. I love my Scott.........but I wish they sold Canyons in the US........l would have loved to try one of those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Again a chip or option. Print it out.
    These guys have an Expert in small available at 2300 euros(this is reduced by subtracting EU vat and then Norwegian duties and vat are added)+ ship 20euros
    Bike24 - Scott Scale 29 Expert Carbon Mountainbike black/red 2012
    I have dealt successfully with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you all for all the help!! Without your help would still be going in circles.

Im now a super happy owner of a Scott Scale 29 Elite. I was a good fit and I got a great deal. I also tried the Scott Scale 29 Pro, but I wish I hadn't! That was a absolute dream bike, but way over my price range. Now im just waiting to get out of work so I can put my new bike to use.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaNorway View Post
    Thank you all for all the help!! Without your help would still be going in circles.

Im now a super happy owner of a Scott Scale 29 Elite. I was a good fit and I got a great deal. I also tried the Scott Scale 29 Pro, but I wish I hadn't! That was a absolute dream bike, but way over my price range. Now im just waiting to get out of work so I can put my new bike to use.
    Congrats

The sooner you get it dirty the happier you'd be, got pic

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great bike. Get that frame protector tape on and chain stay cover and ride.

mtbr member
    Just checked out that Canyon bike. Pretty amazing. Will be quite interested, if they ever start shipping to the U.S. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry for the interupt but I am looking between getting a Trek Cobia 2013 Small size or a Trek Superfly AL 2012 Medium size - both are 29er hardtails. Would like the Superfly but want the best fit. Unfortunately I am only 5'8 but I have a long torso and short legs so the medium feels better lengthwise but I'm on my toes when I stand over. Is this a problem, especially as I am a beginner.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow&Steady View Post
    Sorry for the interupt but I am looking between getting a Trek Cobia 2013 Small size or a Trek Superfly AL 2012 Medium size - both are 29er hardtails. Would like the Superfly but want the best fit. Unfortunately I am only 5'8 but I have a long torso and short legs so the medium feels better lengthwise but I'm on my toes when I stand over. Is this a problem, especially as I am a beginner.
    Read this: Noob Buyer's Guide
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.