1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hi folks new biker

Hi folks I'm new in this forums. I tried to lockup a MTB forums I found this. I'm from Puerto Rico ( Sorry for my writting ).

I have one begginer question for you

1. I'm decide with this 4 bikes to begin my new sport-hobby in the MTB, but I really need your recomendation, the positive and negative points of this bikes. My budget is arrount 1k. I know in this range I have to purchase one entry level bike but I need the best in this class. I read the diference between 650b and 29er. I'm a 5'10" person with 170lb.

* Specialized Carve COMP 2013 ( Not crave )
    * Orbea Alma H70
    * Giant Talon 27.5 4 ( 650b )
    * Cannondale Trail 5

I hope your answer to decide between this bikes. Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Rolan, go to Colon Bicycles (Bayamon) and ask for Ricardo Rosado. Tell him that Dirt Devil sent you and he should be able to help you figure out what you want and offer a good deal on the Talon if you decide to go that route.

I'm about your same height and ride a large Talon 29 1 so don't be afraid of the bigger wheel.

Saludos desde NY.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some bikes come with a Suntour 'X' series fork. This bike setup would be good for dirt road and bike path riding.
    But not for trails that are fast with bumps.

If you can find an air fork on a 29 that bike would be versatile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    DiRt DeViL I tried to find a shop telephone but I don't find any information of them. I live arround 1.30 hours from Bayamon, but I ride some bicicles stores tried to find the best bike for my. If you have the telephone i appreciate you send me the information ( PM ).

eb1888, the cannondale, talon bikes have a Suntour fork, but the Specialized and Orbea Alma series have the RockShock fork, I read some information the Rockshock series is better than Suntour.

Right now I have one ofter to purchase Specialized Carve COMP 29 2013 for $1000, the Cannondale Trail 5 for $750 and the Orbea Alma H70 for arround $1000. This is my first choice, but also have the Giant talon for arround $800 bucks.

If you have to purchase one of them, you pickup are ?

mtbr member
    Bienvenidos a Colon Bicycle ---* Bayamon y Humacao

Bayamon: Avenida Comerío CC21 Rio Hondo Bayamón, PR 787 780-2040
    Humacao: Calle 13 BB-1 Urb. Villa Universitaria Humacao, PR 787 656-9300
    Aguadilla: Aguadilla Town Center Carretera #2 Km 122 Aguadilla, PR 787 997-2041

I'm not a fan of the big S so from your options my choices will be the Orbea, Giant, Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not a fan of Spec but it has a better fork, an air fork Recon Gold. The damper is upgradeable to SID level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks !! Right now I have in front of me the Giant Talon and I really liked but I tried to compare with the orbea but this dealer no sell orbea bikes :/

mtbr member
    Compare specs and do a parking lot test ride on both (even if you have to go to different shops) and buy the one that you feel fits you better and gives you bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Test ride not just in the parking lot. Go on the grass and in and out of ditches to get some relevant info. Than do the same with the Carve. The fork is so much better for offroad, I would have to choose it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Test ride not just in the parking lot. Go on the grass and in and out of ditches to get some relevant info. Than do the same with the Carve. The fork is so much better for offroad, I would have to choose it.
    Agree but where the OP is from is very rare that a shop will allow test rides, lived there and part timed on a shop and during my time at the shop we never did any kind of test ride with customers other than "borrowing" the owners bike for a trail ride with him if you were in the market for a similar one.