1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Hey ya'll - New Guy Here

Not real sure where to start haha, umm...

Used to ride pretty often at the local state park (nothing special really it was a running trail mainly) and was very interested in DH riding but, I lived at the beach so needless to say, there was no mountains lol.

Moving out west pretty soon and going to get back into riding, mainly for fitness, but also of course having fun. Here trying to pick up on any tips and knowledge about the mechanics (working on my own bike) and types of bikes.

Sorry if that seemed jumbled up lol, I am practically brand new to this, wasnt sure really what to say

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Welcome to the board.

For tips on working on your bike, you can browse the tooltime subforum here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php#cla...in-bike-forums

There is also a downhill subforum there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey, thanks I have been checking them out here and there. Was taking a look at the injury one, some pretty gnarly crashes over there. Probably not the best place to look for "info" haha could steer someone the opposite direction.

mtbr member
    Welcome.

...and wear a helmet.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah haha no doubt about it, was watching some of the DH videos, couldn't imagine doing it without a helmet.

Ride More, Whine Less

Hey ya'll - New Guy Here

I'm here.

I would say don't limit yourself to one type of riding--it keeps things fresh, helps work different muscles and may be a way to make riding stick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah earlier I was actually looking at the different ones and kinda comparing, previous like I said, took interest in DH riding, but did some more reading and what not and I believe XC could be really fun and interesting, possible change of pace from flying down a mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Welcome! I'm new, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    always good having warm welcomes and new people/riders, welcome to you as well!

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard from a retired squid!

mtbr member
    Welcome USMC, I definitely recommend reading the Beginner's Corner how to articles preventive maintenance articles. Have you purchased a bike yet or are you still looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Definitely been reading around a bit, watching videos here and there.....well, practically all day lol and no not just yet, I posted on the Downhill section of the forums, for some tips/advice.

Very helpful guys over there, for sure, looked at a few gnarly bikes, just saving up a bit more, seems ~$2150 is a decent median for a good DH setup. Been told to definitely test ride bikes, different frames, shock setups, see what fits pretty well.

Curious though, I do have a question. As far as test riding, I notice a lot of people say "take it to the dirt if you can" well.....how do you go about convincing the guy at the shop to let you ride dirt before actually buying it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_Rider77 View Post
    Definitely been reading around a bit, watching videos here and there.....well, practically all day lol and no not just yet, I posted on the Downhill section of the forums, for some tips/advice.

Very helpful guys over there, for sure, looked at a few gnarly bikes, just saving up a bit more, seems ~$2150 is a decent median for a good DH setup. Been told to definitely test ride bikes, different frames, shock setups, see what fits pretty well.

Curious though, I do have a question. As far as test riding, I notice a lot of people say "take it to the dirt if you can" well.....how do you go about convincing the guy at the shop to let you ride dirt before actually buying it?
    It depends on the shop. Some shops have demo models. The shops in my area will only let you ride around the parking lot.