1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Hey guys, im new and i was wondering if this was a good bike.

I have been mountain biking since i was 12 but now i feel its time for an upgrade! I have been using the same bike since then. I found a local person selling a treck fuel 100 (its a 2005) for 1000. The bikes in pristine condition. WHat do you think? Is it a buy? i realy like the bike. And my limit is 1000.
    Thanks, Matt
    Trek Fuel 100 XC Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    What year is the bike? Do you have a link to the ad? Is it the right size for you?

This might help:
    Noob Guide to Buying a used MTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The bike is a 2005. I would replace the handlebars. And the bike is just the right size for me. Or pretty darn close. Im 5,10"
    Hey guys, im new and i was wondering if this was a good bike.-01616_3shlcjd0ulz_600x450.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I mean from what i hear they are great bikes and it would be a large step up for me. WHich is what i want. I also hear that the fox shocks are really great.

mtbr member
    Is that $1,000? (I am in the UK)

Seems like a great deal if the bike is as clean as it looks. You won't get much for that price new, not full suspension anyway.

Looks like it needs a bit of setting up (bar ends, saddle etc) but that is nothing, maybe get your local bike shop to give it the once over if you buy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    yes its $1000. Im thinking i should give it a shot. It has some really good components too i think.

mtbr member
    That is definitely a 2003 according to bikepedia and bbb.
    2003 Trek Fuel 100 - BikePedia
    2003 Trek Fuel 100 - New and Used Bike Value
    It looks like upgrade fork and shock. Not sure about the rest of the components.

If you are a newbie, that would be a great xc bike. Might be able to talk him down since it is nearly a decade old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well thats too bad the bike has x-o components. So it should be pretty darn light. That or this Trek Fuel 90 Full Suspension Mountain Bike
    And i really dont think thats a good value.

Do you think itd be wise to buy that bike? The First one i mentioned the 100

mtbr member
    You're new so I'll go easy: you don't need to post three threads about one topic. And like I said in your other thread, $1,000 for a ten year old bike is crazy money.

There's an excellent chance the fork and shock have never been serviced. The brakes are hydraulic so they may need servicing as well. Hopefully the suspension bearings are in good shape but they might need replacement. If these things need attention, your $1000 bike can become a $1200-$1500 bike rather quickly.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. And that's assuming it fits you, the frame isn't cracked and everything else is perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sorry. my internet shut down a few times so i had no clue if it posted or not. However, Thanks. I think i may go for it because it is mostly new parts. And it is cheaper than the bbb. And it should fit just fine. Regardless it would be a big jump up from what i have now.

mtbr member
    Hey it's your money. It sounds like you've already made your decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I havnt. There's just not many full sus mountain bikes for under 1000.

mtbr member
    Just check it is in good condition before you hand over your cash.
    Brakes working, fork feels OK, wheels true, etc.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    You're new so I'll go easy: you don't need to post three threads about one topic. And like I said in your other thread, $1,000 for a ten year old bike is crazy money.

There's an excellent chance the fork and shock have never been serviced. The brakes are hydraulic so they may need servicing as well. Hopefully the suspension bearings are in good shape but they might need replacement. If these things need attention, your $1000 bike can become a $1200-$1500 bike rather quickly.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. And that's assuming it fits you, the frame isn't cracked and everything else is perfect.
    I have a 2003 Trek Fuel 80, yes I know a step-down model from this, but when I was thinking about selling it I was going to be happy to get $200. It's even got a less than 1 year old RockShox fork on it and the rear shock was serviced less than a year ago. I decided to just keep it as a spare, but still...

edit: ignore everything I said, I didn't realize that bike was carbon...
    Last edited by thegweed; 09-20-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: didn't realize it was carbon
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    $200 is just giving it away, though a buyer would thank you l am sure!
    Maybe things are different in the UK. I sold my 1999 Marin Attack Trail on ebay a few months ago, it was mint but well out of date, and it went for 340 (about $500)
    I also sold my wife's Specialized Hardrock Sport and l got 240 for it (about $350) it was mint but over five years old. They only cost 400 new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well if that isnt the bike for me. Whats a good full suspension? For under 1000. And i would wwant it to be pretty lite. I know thats alot to ask for, because its a 1000 dollar bike.. but any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I am guessing you want an xc bike?
    I would shoot for something newer if possible.
    Ellsworth Epiphany sst. 1 mt. Bike
    2011 Specialized CAMBER-29er
    Trek Fuel 90 17.5"
    Merida Full Suspension Mountain Bike Fox suspension/ XTR- Trek/giant
    Specialized Epic

I think the trek fuel you posted would be a great bike, but I dont think because of its age it is worth quite that much...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    talked him down to 1000.
    What do you think?
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/4019696666.html
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I am guessing you want an xc bike?
    I would shoot for something newer if possible.
    Ellsworth Epiphany sst. 1 mt. Bike
    2011 Specialized CAMBER-29er
    Trek Fuel 90 17.5"
    Merida Full Suspension Mountain Bike Fox suspension/ XTR- Trek/giant
    Specialized Epic

I think the trek fuel you posted would be a great bike, but I dont think because of its age it is worth quite that much...

mtbr member
    If it fits you, that would be a superior bike compared to the fuel. It might not be as light but it should be better in every other way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How about this? 2010 Scott Genius 60 (Medium) - Pinkbike
    I have always liked the way these bikes looked for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    If it fits you, that would be a superior bike compared to the fuel. It might not be as light but it should be better in every other way.

mtbr member
    Why are the cranks so much older than the bike? Getting that shock rebuilt is going to be difficult.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have no clue. Im just wondering if its worth the dough
    Why does it have old road cranks on it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That Camber is pretty sweet, good all-around ride. If it fits and it's in your price range, get it and get riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why are the cranks so much older than the bike? Getting that shock rebuilt is going to be difficult.
    That seems to have been Frankensteined together out of somebody's spare parts heap (don't ask me how I know exactly what that looks like).
    Run from it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    That seems to have been Frankensteined together out of somebody's spare parts heap (don't ask me how I know exactly what that looks like).
    Run from it.
    Yeah, looks like it's a bike shop selling it. Must've slapped on whatever they had sitting around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast