1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Help...what to upgrade?

So i just started mountain biking a couple months ago, for my first bike i picked up a Haro FL one without reading too much up about it. Was just trying to get a decent cheap beginner's bike to see if i actually liked mountain biking before i dropped a lot of cash. Turns out i love mountain biking and the more i read about my bike the more i realize its not the best bike for mountain biking so i figured id upgrade a few parts of my bike to hold me over until i can actually buy a new bike(may). Im just trying to get some advice on what i should upgrade or if its a waste of money to sink more money into this bike.

current set up on this:
    HL 410E fork- 50mm travel fork
    SR Suntour XCC-T102 crankset 42/34/24 with sealed cartridge BB
    Shimano EF-40 7-speed shifters/brake levers
    Pivit alloy 30mm riser bar 31.8mm / Pivit forged stem
    Shimano Tourney TX-50 rear derailleur with TX-35 front derailleur
    Shimano HG-20, 7-speed, cassette 12-32

first thing i was going to do was replace the fork with a Rockshox xc28 that i found for $125.

any help is much appreciated!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Stop wasting your money and put it towards your new bike in May. It isn't that far off.

-S

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If you are not already using clipless pedals, you may want to consider that.

They can always be transferred to a new build too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Stop wasting your money and put it towards your new bike in May. It isn't that far off.

-S
    I second this opinion
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Ride Responsibly
    Unless it is to make it fit better, like a different stem, more comfortable, like a different seat, or broken, I would just leave it as is and put your $$ to a "better" bike.
    You did good on getting an "entry-level" bike, but no matter how much lipstick you put on it you are not going to be happy with that pig! You now know much more about biking then when you bought your bike, do more research, save up your $$ and be ready when you find the next bike.
    Oh yeah, keep riding what you got!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That $125 you mentioned for a fork will go WAY further if you put it toward the new bike you're buying in May. As others have suggested, I would limit what you buy for this bike to what you KNOW you can transfer to your new bike - pedals and maybe tires (if you stay with a 26er). Otherwise, just have fun on it for the next 6 months!

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post

-S
    +1 This bike could become a money pit. Change things for fit and comfort, but save for the real deal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    appreciate all the advice! will probably just hold off till i buy my next bike, till then im gonna ride this thing into the ground

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by integr1ty View Post
    appreciate all the advice! will probably just hold off till i buy my next bike, till then im gonna ride this thing into the ground
    ...cool..just be safe and don't hurt yourself while doing that.

enjoy!!

-S

Cow Clicker
    Also, be careful when reading about your new bike as you might fall victim to the same thing all over again. From what I read, you were happy until you read something that told you you shouldn't be happy.

Figure out what YOU would like your bike to do differently, then decide if a new bike is in order.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Also, be careful when reading about your new bike as you might fall victim to the same thing all over again. From what I read, you were happy until you read something that told you you shouldn't be happy.

Figure out what YOU would like your bike to do differently, then decide if a new bike is in order.
    For this bike i had just got into a store and bought it without looking into ANY of the specs. Took it out onto the trail a few times and just felt like i was going to break the bike in half, then just read about the bike and kinda figured out why my bike felt like that. Im definitely doing my research before i buy a new one. Just gonna stick with what my bike can handle until then and work on getting better.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tires. If you don't have a floor pump, get one. Nice pedals.

Anything else is going to be a pain to transfer and/or redundant.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    yeah, I agree you should save up for the next bike.

in the mean time if you want to spend a little money or ask for gifts (it is fun after all), I suggest getting good tools or riding gear. there's a lot of stuff that makes the ride better without being bolted to the bike.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    yeah, I agree you should save up for the next bike.

in the mean time if you want to spend a little money or ask for gifts (it is fun after all), I suggest getting good tools or riding gear. there's a lot of stuff that makes the ride better without being bolted to the bike.
    ^^^^
    Excellent idea - that way you will at least look like you belong on a bike. Perhaps it'll buy you some cred when you go buy your new bike at the LBS.

-S

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am an upgrade whore who actually thinks it can be a good idea to sometimes upgrade lower level bikes and even I say: don't upgrade a single thing on that bike! Save every nickel you can between now and May and put it towards whatever bike you plan to buy.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Your biggest investment between now and May should be TIME. Take the time to research new bikes. Make a wish list of components/features you want and do your best to make that happen. And, if you don't trash your current ride, you could always sell it to someone who's looking to get into biking and make a few bucks for new gear/tools.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by integr1ty View Post
    You are wise to listen to the experienced members here. Congratulations. Keep us posted on your experiences.

Money spent on parts which are about fit is usually transferable, or at least adds to your knowledge of what works for you. I do spend money on handlebars, seats, and seat posts on inexpensive bikes.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Money spent on parts which are about fit is usually transferable, or at least adds to your knowledge of what works for you. I do spend money on handlebars, seats, and seat posts on inexpensive bikes.
    That is a really good point too. If you are going to ride this bike for a year or two, you definitely could get a decent set of pedals, grips/bar, or saddle. Inexpensive upgrades to eliminate a little misery in your contact points wouldn't be the worst idea. definitely do not get carried away and put money into the drivetrain, wheels or suspension.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin