1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Help with water bottle cage decision

Hey Guys
    My wife and I were just talking about how to stop our water bottles from getting so marked up from our cages. We have used mainly aluminum ones and I have one carbon one. The bottles seem to end up black after awhile. Is King Titanium Cages about our only option and do they really keep the bottles clean? I appreciate any help you can give us.
    Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

Cow Clicker
    I've got a carbon fiber cage because it was on sale and not that much more than a regular cage. I think the bottle gets marked up because of dirst getting between the bottle and cage and scratches it up and then dirt gets in the scratches.

mtbr member
    I can't believe this is a real question

mtbr member
    When it comes to cages for me it's a no brainer, Cateye. They're cheap, durable, hold the bottle just as well and are just as light as much more expensive ones. Oh, and I never notice any bottle damage from them.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I just spend a few hours in the evenings polishing the outsides of my water bottles. They look fabulous!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks guys for the help. My wife is looking at buying the camelbak podium water bottle (which I love) for her new bike. She is just looking for a cage that will keep the bottle a little cleaner for awhile and hold the bottle well. I will have a look the Cateye. Any opinions on the King Cage would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Straw

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Plastic cages and black bottles

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    Thanks guys for the help. My wife is looking at buying the camelbak podium water bottle (which I love) for her new bike. She is just looking for a cage that will keep the bottle a little cleaner for awhile and hold the bottle well. I will have a look the Cateye. Any opinions on the King Cage would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Straw
    Have you tried covering the surfaces of the cage (that touch the bottle) you already have with a thin felt or rubber? Moleskin comes to mind as something you might already have that fits this category and usually has an adhesive back already built in.

I really just can't imagine replacing a cage (at the cost of $5-$50 or however expensive they really get at the top end) to keep a $10 bottle clean.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have covered the contact areas of my carbon cage with masking tape but I can see where that will wear through with time as the mud and water contact it. I don't mind spending a little more money for a good cage if it will do what I want it to. Thanks.
    Straw

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    lol... i can't say i've ever cared if my bottles got scratched.

Fat-tired Roadie
    plastic.

Or throw 'em in the dishwasher. (The bottles.) I started doing that when I started using gatorade. They also look less gnarly.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I can't believe this is a real question
    What he said ^^^^

It is just a bottle

Try one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    King used to do a stainless steel version, if they still make it it might be cheaper than the ti. I always considered water bottles as disposable items though - when I used them...

No Stranger to danger....
    LOL, i think this thread could be a gee -up.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And I thought I was weird trying to touch up frame scratches and everything

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use a Specialized Z-cage. It holds gently but firmly & I ride & race tons of rough rocky stuff and have never lost a bottle. The "Z" shape allows you to get your bottle out from the side really easily so probably with less friction/scratching.

I also get a couple new bottles each year. Not because of them getting scuffed on the outside...but who knows what's going on inside...even the dishwasher seems to not get them quite clean after awhile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Use empty soda bottles and stop worrying

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah i use gatorade bottles. load them with ice, put water on top, throw them in a cooler and they're usually icy halfway through my ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ice to the bottle is way to go. If I only put water in the bottle it's 30mins and it's already hot as hell no matter how cold it's at the beginning.

Save Jesus
    I use a clear Camelbak Podium bottle with a white plastic water bottle cage, and the scratching is minimal. However, I am like Steve in that once a week, I take the rotary buffer to my water bottles to take out all the scratches.

If you don't have a rotary buffer, an orbital buffer will also work, but it will take longer. If you don't have that either, there is still hope using only hand buffing. First, use Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner (or it's modern day replacement) to remove the dirt and smudges. Next use Meguiars Scratch X to help remove the scratches. Follow up with 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Light Colors (or the dark color version for dark bottles), then a good layer of Synthetic Sealant or Carnuba wax.

It goes without saying that you should perform the same maintenance on the water bottle cage as well.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I use a clear Camelbak Podium bottle with a white plastic water bottle cage, and the scratching is minimal. However, I am like Steve in that once a week, I take the rotary buffer to my water bottles to take out all the scratches.

If you don't have a rotary buffer, an orbital buffer will also work, but it will take longer. If you don't have that either, there is still hope using only hand buffing. First, use Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner (or it's modern day replacement) to remove the dirt and smudges. Next use Meguiars Scratch X to help remove the scratches. Follow up with 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Light Colors (or the dark color version for dark bottles), then a good layer of Synthetic Sealant or Carnuba wax.

It goes without saying that you should perform the same maintenance on the water bottle cage as well.
    HEY! That's the exact procedure I use to keep my SPD cleats shiny and new looking!

No Stranger to danger....
    My tyres seem to get dirty during a ride, any ideas how to prevent this from happening?
    serious replies only please......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post

mtbr member
    I've decided that my water bottles are just too nice to use, and it bothers me too much to see them get worn, so I still wash them often, but I only use mild cleaning solutions, and never the dishwasher. That poster above who uses car cleaning products is crazy, not on my babies. I also think they don't fade from sunlight if I keep them in the cabinet. Seriously thou, I could get a full refund if I wanted to, they still look that good. Also think water is highly over rated on rides anyways, not that I'd know because I'd never squash my saddle with my ass.
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-29-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I knew this guy who died of dehydration on a long climb because he wouldn't pull his bottle out of his cage for fear it would mark it up. True story. I swear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast