Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

HElp. Rear Deraileur question

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  gdl357 
#1 ·
Ok, I took off my deraileur pulleys (little black wheels) on my 5 year old Deore LONG REAR D/R (Mega) and was not impressed. Shimano used bushing in both gears and I want to replace the D/R with an Xt like I am doing with my F/R Der.

The Shimano tech told me that since I have a Deore 8SP Cassette, all the new D/R are made for a 9SP cassette, I will have to find someone to lock out the last gear.

Is this hard to do? What should I do. I really want the XT or any better model with ball bearings Rear D/R.

My shifters are Shimano STX RX 8SP

#5 ·
dubjay said:
That derailleur will work with the 8spd cassette just fine. The spacing is identical to a 9spd. It's the shifters that do the indexing - and you're not changing that.
Ok So if I upgrade the Rear Deore to a XT and keep the shifters I will be OK?

Where is this Gear locking that the tech was talking about done? Did he think I was putting on some XT shifters on a 8SP cassette? Maybe thats why he said that?

Thx

#6 ·
Attaching an XT derailleur to STX shifters is pretty much a waste of money. It's your shifters and cables which have the biggest say in how well your gearing changes, not the bushings on your jockey wheels.

If your derailleur needs replacing, the just get the XT you want; it'll work fine with 8 speed, but don't expect a significant change in shifting performance. The XT is a little lighter than the Deore and a higher rate spring makes it a little 'snappier', but like I said, shifters and cables are where it's at. It is still possible to get 8spd XT shifters (M740).

#7 ·
Ok, I just purchased the m761 XT Rapid Rise Derailleur.

The reason that I went this route is because I read a lot of reviews where people say that the Deore DR bends very easy and it jumps gears when you take a little jump with t. Also, the Xt has a steel bearing and is built in Japan, better quality. Just this justifies my investment.

Also, I don't se how the Rapid Fire shifters I have presently would be SO different compared to the XT shifters in shifting the gear. I have SIS cables already installed. All a shifter does it pull a cable. There is no art to that. I just think if its not a XTR or XT, people treat it like garbage.

The shifting is great on my bike. I see no reason to go to XT shifters unless they can cook me breakfast in the morning.

Thx for all the help.

My old setup:
Tectro V-Brakes
Tectro Brake levers
Cheap noname brake cables
Acera F/D
Deore R/D
SIS shifter cables
Shi HG-50 chain
Shi HD-50 8sp cassette
Velo Saddle
Kalloy shock post

New Setup:
Avid SL V-Brakes
Avad SL Brake levers
XTR Brake cables
XT M760 F/D
XT M761 R/D
SIS shifter cables
SRAM PC-68/Powerlink chain
Shi HD-50 8sp cassette
Specialized NEW MODEL Avatar Gel Saddle
SelCof"50" Italian made 25.8mm post

So I think I WILL see a difference.

Thx all for all the help.

#8 ·
Rapid Rise?

Will this work with old STX shifters? Hey if it's not compatible send me a message I have shimano dual controls that supposedly work better with the rapid rise set-up.

#9 ·
baraant said:
Will this work with old STX shifters? Hey if it's not compatible send me a message I have shimano dual controls that supposedly work better with the rapid rise set-up.
From what the bike shop told me the only difference is that the 1-8 order gets switched around. Now when I hit the Thumb lever, the chain will go up 3 gears but to the bigger side. Not the other way around.

I find it's better like this because when I encounter a hill to climb, I can hit the thumb lever and I will move to the bigger gears on the cassette which will help me go up easier.

#10 ·
You got it backwards

gdl357 said:
From what the bike shop told me the only difference is that the 1-8 order gets switched around. Now when I hit the Thumb lever, the chain will go up 3 gears but to the bigger side. Not the other way around.

I find it's better like this because when I encounter a hill to climb, I can hit the thumb lever and I will move to the bigger gears on the cassette which will help me go up easier.
With Rapid Rise, the thumb lever will shift to the higher gears (smaller cogs) up to three at a time. The finger trigger will shift to lower gears (larger cogs) one at a time.

:cool:

#11 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
With Rapid Rise, the thumb lever will shift to the higher gears (smaller cogs) up to three at a time. The finger trigger will shift to lower gears (larger cogs) one at a time.

:cool:
LOL. I can't not even listen straight today for how happy I am. Thx for the info.

All I know is it is the opposite to what I have now.

#12 ·
gdl357 said:
LOL. I can't not even listen straight today for how happy I am. Thx for the info.

All I know is it is the opposite to what I have now.
Nope the LBS was right!

I just installed the XT Rear Derailleur on my STX RC shifters and when I use the thumb lever to jump three grears, it moves up to the BIGGER gears and then the rear lever brings the down towards the DR.

Big gear is # 1, Small is # 8

Thx

#15 ·
So which is it ? you like rapid rise or high normal?

"I find it's better like this because when I encounter a hill to climb, I can hit the thumb lever and I will move to the bigger gears on the cassette which will help me go up easier."

that is rapid rise

#16 ·
dan0 said:
So which is it ? you like rapid rise or high normal?

"I find it's better like this because when I encounter a hill to climb, I can hit the thumb lever and I will move to the bigger gears on the cassette which will help me go up easier."

that is rapid rise
Its a High Normal. I like this way better. Going from small to big cog with the thumb.

Like the other user said"
With Rapid Rise, the thumb lever will shift to the higher gears (smaller cogs) up to three at a time. The finger trigger will shift to lower gears (larger cogs) one at a time
."

#17 ·
"Also, I don't se how the Rapid Fire shifters I have presently would be SO different compared to the XT shifters in shifting the gear. I have SIS cables already installed. All a shifter does it pull a cable. There is no art to that. I just think if its not a XTR or XT, people treat it like garbage."

Well, you want the XT derailleur because it uses bearings rather than bushes. The main difference between the XT shifter and the rest of the range? You guessed it; bearings.
The shift mechanism on the XT is supported by bearings, rather than plastic bushes. Apart from making the mechanism stronger, it also makes it considerably easier, lighter, to operate. It will also work better for longer, not only because of the different mechansim, but also because the whole assembly is put together differently and in a more rigid case. Whilst most riders would struggle to tell the difference between a Deore level and an XT level shifter when they were new, after a few hundred miles of hard use the difference will be obvious. The XTR is another matter; it is more or less the same as the XT but is lighter and designed to be servicable. The difference in build, material and component quality between an STX and an XT shifter is vast. Whilst I'm not saying that the STX is a bad shifter, the XT is simply a better bit of kit.
I agree that many people hanker after XT and XTR simply because it's more expensive and carries some 'bling' factor, but one result of their vanity is that they get great performance (assuming it's all tuned in correctly), whether they appreciate it or not.

At some point maybe you'll try an XT shifter on another bike and understand what I'm talking about.

Good dirt,
Steve

#18 ·
SteveUK said:
"Also, I don't se how the Rapid Fire shifters I have presently would be SO different compared to the XT shifters in shifting the gear. I have SIS cables already installed. All a shifter does it pull a cable. There is no art to that. I just think if its not a XTR or XT, people treat it like garbage."

Well, you want the XT derailleur because it uses bearings rather than bushes. The main difference between the XT shifter and the rest of the range? You guessed it; bearings.
The shift mechanism on the XT is supported by bearings, rather than plastic bushes. Apart from making the mechanism stronger, it also makes it considerably easier, lighter, to operate. It will also work better for longer, not only because of the different mechansim, but also because the whole assembly is put together differently and in a more rigid case. Whilst most riders would struggle to tell the difference between a Deore level and an XT level shifter when they were new, after a few hundred miles of hard use the difference will be obvious. The XTR is another matter; it is more or less the same as the XT but is lighter and designed to be servicable. The difference in build, material and component quality between an STX and an XT shifter is vast. Whilst I'm not saying that the STX is a bad shifter, the XT is simply a better bit of kit.
I agree that many people hanker after XT and XTR simply because it's more expensive and carries some 'bling' factor, but one result of their vanity is that they get great performance (assuming it's all tuned in correctly), whether they appreciate it or not.

At some point maybe you'll try an XT shifter on another bike and understand what I'm talking about.

Good dirt,
Steve
exactly right
I will add though, the xtr I believe has more bearings and possibly better quality parts, more alloys and less plastic. I can feel the diff. between xt & xtr, I think for your average day to day riding xt is the right choice, pretty bullet proof. if you have the cash/ need the weight reduction or race xtr

#19 ·
You guys are BAD but in a GOOD way!

I just went to the shop to try out some XT Shifters and purchased a pair of NEW XT Rapidfire M740 - 8speed for $125.CND. Bye Bye STX RC shifters.

This way I can keep my new SRAM chain and 8SP Shimano Cassette.

I also purchased an Easton EA70 Aluminum Handlebar. The salesrep did not want to sell me the CF one as with my wheight (230lbs) he said I would snap it on a jump. I use to bench press alot so I have a big chest and shoulders and a big beer pot to go with it.

Thx all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.