1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Help Plz-bike Issues

I have recently bought a carrera fury bike(used)and i need to set up the gears properly as it misses agear.does anybody know how to adjust the gears properly without messing up and making others gears worse?That's my first question,secondly i am considering buying a used carrera fury 20"frame with rockshock forks/handlebars for 95,the frame has minor scratches,nothing really noticeable,i have to replace the adjuster screw on the l.h.s.of the forks as it is cracked,is it a good deal or not and my final question,other than allen keys,sockets/spanners,is their any special tools i need to purchase to strip my bike down and put everything on this other frame?

mtbr member
    For your derailleur (or "Mech" in the UK):
    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

For swapping all your parts over you'll need at least these tools (off the top of my head):
    Allen Wrenches
    Chain Tool
    Crank Puller
    BB Wrench
    Cable Cutter/Crimper

You won't need any cassette tools if you're keeping the same wheelset and drivetrain, but it's still handy to have a cassette wrench and a chainwhip around.

You may also need to take the frames into the shop if you want to swap the headsets and forks. The shop can press the new headset race into the frame and onto the fork.

Rub it............
    If the chain rattles or ghost shifts while pedaling, then you need to take the barrel adjuster on the shifter and turn it. Move it one way first. If it gets better, than keep turning that way. If nothing changes, go the opposite direction. If that doesn't do anything, you might have to replace the derailleur cables.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook
    For your derailleur (or "Mech" in the UK):
    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

For swapping all your parts over you'll need at least these tools (off the top of my head):
    Allen Wrenches
    Chain Tool
    Crank Puller
    BB Wrench
    Cable Cutter/Crimper

You won't need any cassette tools if you're keeping the same wheelset and drivetrain, but it's still handy to have a cassette wrench and a chainwhip around.

You may also need to take the frames into the shop if you want to swap the headsets and forks. The shop can press the new headset race into the frame and onto the fork.
    thanks,i will take a look at you thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    If the chain rattles or ghost shifts while pedaling, then you need to take the barrel adjuster on the shifter and turn it. Move it one way first. If it gets better, than keep turning that way. If nothing changes, go the opposite direction. If that doesn't do anything, you might have to replace the derailleur cables.
    the chain dosen't rattle,when i shift up a gear nothing happens,do it again and it goes in gear,i'm not sure it it goes up 2 gears and misses the first that didn't work,or whether it goes to the first gear.as for cables everything is brand new.anyway i will try adjusting thebarrel,thanks.