1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

help please... newbee

I'm new in South Florida and biking, and have the bug o do some off road riding. i found out about the mud club at the bike shop. I have two questions.Are there any beginner rides available, and does anybody have and experience with Montague Paratrooper mountain bike? It's a folding bike, i have a very small studio. any help appreciated

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to mtbr

While I can't help with the "mud club" or whether or not they have beginners rides (check back with the bike shop you went to for that info) I can definitely advise against purchasing a folding bike. While the Montague claims to have been designed for military usage, and seems to be one of the better folding bikes, I would say that you can spend the same amount of money on a regular hardtail that will have better components. Buy a standard hardtail and find a creative way of storing the bike. There are several racks that mount the bike on the wall, ceiling, etc.

Just my 2 cents as always. Best wishes in finding the right bike.

Bob
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 04-26-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would only get a folder if you plan to travel with it (folded) frequently - like ride to the subway, fold it up and take it to work with you.

Also what better decoration of a studio than a muddy bike hanging from a hook? That's class my man!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt01
    I'm new in South Florida and biking, and have the bug o do some off road riding. i found out about the mud club at the bike shop. I have two questions.Are there any beginner rides available, and does anybody have and experience with Montague Paratrooper mountain bike? It's a folding bike, i have a very small studio. any help appreciated
    I agree with the other posters, there are excelent hardtails out there, I don't trust a foldable in the mountains.

You could always put a hook or something on the roof and hang your bike there, or there are other different racks/solutions to fit your bike there.

...the wave won't brek
    My Girl friend has a bag for her bike, she keeps it outside on her patio in the bag, but the bag itself is desigined to be hung by straps off of a balcony.

You can always do the Sinfield thing and hang the bike in the hall.

I used to keep my bike in my dorm room... If I can live with a bike in dorm room you can surly find space for it in you apartment.

Check the regional forms for info on group rides in your area.

I will find more information on the bike bag for you tonight.

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

Bloody Bastard
    I'm buying the Montague Paratrooper because I've got to spend about 40 days in Washington this summer and I need a bike to go on the flight with me. I plan to take the bike on other extensive trips as well. I think it's a great solution and it's built to military specifications. I can't see any of these things being bad.
    Last edited by Blu Falcon; 04-28-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Dirt, like Anthrax, I lived in a very small dorm room with another roommate and I found a place for my bike. I took both wheels off and slid it under my bed. You can easily find room for the bike somewhere if you get creative or get rid of something.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dirt01, where in SOFL are you?
    I live in Miami and I usually go to Oleta Park in Aventura. Also there is Markham Park but that one is more advance.
    So I would sugest for you to try Oleta Park, I love it...

Full Size Folder
    Oct 2012
    Montague makes a respectable folder that can take a pretty serious beating. I'm more worried about the recently upgraded components failing than I am the frame. I bought mine so I could take it traveling, but also to work to ride on my lunch break. I didn't want to mount a rack to my GTI, so a folding bike was the best solution. They are great bikes and I get compliments on mine all the time.

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu Falcon View Post
    I'm buying the Montague Paratrooper because I've got to spend about 40 days in Washington this summer and I need a bike to go on the flight with me. I plan to take the bike on other extensive trips as well. I think it's a great solution and it's built to military specifications. I can't see any of these things being bad.
    Happen to know WHAT "military specifications" it is built to?

Mil spec just means it meats some random specification...
    For example:

http://www.everyspec.com/COMML_ITEM_...54A.018193.PDF