1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Help Please!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Help Please!!!!

I am about to start riding and have not ever ridden a mountain bike. I have a limited budget really want to keep it low between $400 and $700. What I am looking at is the New 2007 Trek 6000 Hardtail with disc brakes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this bike and how far can I go ? I have been looking at some of the Mountain Bike magizines and see people enjoying rugged trails and do drops off hills would this bike be able to handle those things? Again I am new to riding and want to start slow and see me mainly doing road and offroad riding with the family and when I travel still be able to hit some trails... Any advice would be great...... http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1032600&f=18 that is the link to my bike.

Muskratt

mtbr member
    The trek 6000 is an awesome bike to start with. It should handle anything you throw at it, however, don't go taking huge drops with it and not expect things to start breaking. The bike should handle the trails just fine and you will have a great time.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Well I don't know how tall you are but you would like this if you can ride a 19".
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7536&rd=1&rd=1
    No idea how hi the bid will go but great stuff on this bike.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    My mindset is that you need to spend atleast a grand on a bike to get a good one. I really don't believe that you want to be going through 'rugged' trails and doing drops off hills with a bike less than a grand, unless you don't mind getting hurt.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportjunkie81
    My mindset is that you need to spend atleast a grand on a bike to get a good one. I really don't believe that you want to be going through 'rugged' trails and doing drops off hills with a bike less than a grand, unless you don't mind getting hurt.
    You can get great bikes under a grand, that hold up very well. It all depends on what you get.