1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: help please!

mtbr member
    May 2006

help please!

I have been riding for a number of years but lack specific knowledge with regards to newer technologies...
    I've got an older hard tail that needs some TLC:
    -forks: what is an economical replacement choice if my riding style is more XC than DH?
    -pedals: anything special to consider if I am NOT going to go clipless?
    -seat: what's the top-choice while still being cost-conscious?
    I think thats a good start...thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Cheers

Witty Title.
    I can't answer the first two, having a built in headshok (i've always perfered Rock Shox, but there are so many choices nowadays) and being a devoted clipless rider, but that last one I can put in my suggestion, you can get a nice Specialized saddle... go for one of the Body Geometry models. They're designed in conjunction with a urologist, to be easy on your "soft tissues" down there. Been riding one with good results on my commuting cx bike, and have a fancier one ("Avatar") coming in for my new mtb. Hope that helps.
    --

~bc

member, nemba.org

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks bc

ride hard take risks
    What kind of bike do you have now? How much money do you want to spend in upgrades

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've got an old Klein Rascal. Obviously the biggest item (costliest?) is the front forks. I've got an old Manitou on there now...
    Overall budget would have to be about 250.00, pretty meager I know, but I just had a kid!
    Thanks for the interest.

mtbr member
    How old is your old bike? If it is really old, you will need to know if it is the steereer tube 1 & 1/8" or 1"? Threaded or threadless?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    will have to check...
    is it easy?

Certified Silly Bugger!
    See if you can pick up a second hand pair of air sprung shocks. I recently put in a Fox RLC 100 in the front end. Significant weight saving and much better control.

I reckon a second hand shock thats been well looked after is better than a cheaper new fork. Just my 2 cents though...
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

ride hard take risks
    It has a 1" steer tube so a fork will have to out of the question at a $250 budget. For pedals & seat i would suggest going to the LBS & picking up there. Alot of times they have new parts that are take offs because people upgraded there new bike. You should be able to get pedals for about $25 & a seat for about $50. It probibly wouldnt hurt to replace cables & housing with what is left over.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...teerer+06.aspx

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dmhardy
    I have been riding for a number of years but lack specific knowledge with regards to newer technologies...
    I've got an older hard tail that needs some TLC:
    -forks: what is an economical replacement choice if my riding style is more XC than DH?
    -pedals: anything special to consider if I am NOT going to go clipless?
    -seat: what's the top-choice while still being cost-conscious?
    I think thats a good start...thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Cheers
    What do you mean by economical? Rock Shox has the Recon and Tora which are a good value, try to get the ones with motion control. Some online stores sometimes have some great deal on Fox Vanilla or others, so it would be a matter of searching.

Seat- it depend on your (_Y_) .... I have used WTB Rocket V and Selle San Marcos Arami Gelaround, and I think both are pretty good to me, but for some it might be too narrow, too plush, to hard, etc..