1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Help picking my first full suspension mountain bike

Hi everyone, first post so hope I'm in the right place to ask for a little help choosing my first full suspension mountain bike!

Firstly, I already have a Cube Analogue 2011 hardtail, as it was a huge upgrade from anything I've previously had i loved it and it's been great for the past 2 years.

I'm looking at buying an entry level full suspension bike within the next week or so. I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes, one being a Cube because i love the look of their bikes and as mentioned, ive already had one.

I'm no pro when it comes to parts and which are best, the 2 bikes i have to choose from I really like the look of and I've done as much research as i can on the internet to compare them both but i cant come to a conclusion of which has the edge!

Bike No. 1 - Fuji Outland 1.0 Suspension Bike 2012 - Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run

Bike No. 2 - Cube XMS 120 Full Suspension 2013 - Cube XMS 120 Full Suspension Mountain Bike 2013 | Mountain Bikes | Cube

I'm hoping for some helpful input in order to help me make a decision. I can get both bikes for practically the same price.

Thanks in advance
    Scott

mtbr member
    The Fuji is a better bike components wise all around. The Fuji has 100mm of travel and the Cube has 120. But they are both XC oriented.

What type of riding to you typically do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since you are in the Uk I would pick a WhyteT129 or the S model as soon as it comes back in stock.
    Whyte T-129 ? First Ride Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just cross country, bit of hill riding. Nothing serious yet.

The Whyte T129 looks good but it's well over my budget. I can get either of the two bikes I've listed for 1100.

mtbr member
    I think the Fuji would be more than enough for that type of riding with your skill level.

Fat-tired Roadie
    "Nothing serious yet" sounds to me like you should stretch a little more on the attitude of this bike. Or, buy another one in two years. I guess I don't know what your expectations are.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You should demo these bikes...otherwise you are guessing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO7TY View Post
    Just cross country, bit of hill riding. Nothing serious yet.

The Whyte T129 looks good but it's well over my budget. I can get either of the two bikes I've listed for 1100.
    I saw it for 1499. Cheaper in the long run could be the case. Isn't there n incentive available for a bike purchase?
    Since you have a good HT this bike should be aimed at more aggressive terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm pretty gutted, i went for the Fuji but by the time i got round to buying the size i wanted (18") had gone!

I know you should always try the bike out, see if it feels comfortable etc before buying but this bike Is far from me and was going to be delivered. They have a 19" available, my Cube is 18". Does anyone have any experience on how big Fuji frames are? I've read a few times frames vary from make to make, any chance Fuji frames are a bit smaller than others?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You should be able to find the specs of both bike from the companies web sites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whyte T-129 29ER '14
    Good terms.