1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help out a newb. (hoss deluxe or cindercone)

Hello all,

I am a pure newb when it comes to mtb's, I am 21 yr old, 5'11'' 250 lbs. I found 2 bikes locally for sale, by the same person; 1 Kona CinderCone 2007 17'' for $750 CAD brand new and 1 Kona Hoss Deluxe 2007 17'' for $875 CAD slightly used (I am going to see them later on this afternoon). Also, I went to a bike shop near by and they had a Trek 6000 for $870 CAD tax in, brand new, I dont remember what year.

Now, my question for all you gurus out there: What bike do you think would suite me best? I am looking for a comfortable trail bike that I can ride for 2-3 hours at a time with no worries. I am by no means an advanced rider, but I like to have the right equipment.

Just let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by blowwzilla; 08-13-2009 at 10:53 AM.

idigscars
    Aug 2009
    Eh if I was goin to spend that kind of money look at a new bike. Check out the specialized hardrock. you get better forks with lock out also the canndondale f7.

Underskilled
    Blowzilla, ask this question in the Clyde forum otherwise people who don't know what they are talking about will answer. Only take advice from people at a similar weight.
    Skinnies mean well, but don't understand what is required.

Pay NO attention to component weight, light components are designed for 140lb racers, not for proper guys.

The Hoss is designed for a Clyde (200 lb+) rider so will be good for you.

Do not touch the Trek or Kona with a bargepole.
    Neither fork will work for your weight and will flex laterally, this makes it likely for you to crash (my friend got a rather amusing injury to his penis when a dart fork shot out from underneath him).

The Hoss is a good deal, snap it up as currently it is your only option.

idigscars
    Aug 2009
    ah **** I forgot the fact his weight yea hoss.

idigscars
    Aug 2009
    haha yea im 6'2 and 170lbs so way different

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    (my friend got a rather amusing injury to his penis when a dart fork shot out from underneath him)
    amusing penis injury; 3 words that don't go together

Underskilled
    amusing in many ways to everyone but him