1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Help this noob pick out some pedals!!

So im buying a 2012 Spec Stumpjumper on ebay and need to buy pedals for it. Im going to be riding on trails and on the road with it. What pedals do you suggest?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    if you want clipless go with shimano SPD very beginner friendly, i'm on my 4th ride and i'm glad i made the switch no more slipping

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pedals have pins small diameter and sharp or fat and stubby. Use short small diameter pins(3mm) or fat ones with trailrunners or tennis shoes so the shoe bottom doesn't get torn up. Use the longer 7mm+ with 5.10 harder stealth rubber shoes for fast dh trail riding. This vid shows the low heels technique for riding flats. Small learning curve then you will stick through anything.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Forte at Performance bike is a good option. Wellgo B124 is an example of fat pins
    Ebay pedals like these will work.
    AEST Bike MTB BMX Platform Flat Pedals CNC Titanium Spindle TI Axle 170g Red | eBay
    This guys rides flats with 5.10s When he gets his skill level up he probably will want to go "clipless"
    .Chris Akrigg - A Hill in Spain - YouTube

mtbr member

Re: Help this noob pick out some pedals!!

Buy a pair of Time pedals and they will last longer than the bike.

Get some with platforms if you plan on riding around town.

Make some thing better happen on the trail.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image, NOT YOURS.

Speed just slows me down...

Just Ride
    Shimano M520 are about the least expensive clipless pedal you can buy. They also offer adjustable tension. So you can start out loose and dial up the tension as your confidence improves. If you look around you can find decent pair of beginner MTB shoes for around $50.

I have the M540 pedals and some kind of sette shoe from price point. I think I paid around $110 for the combo. Speaking of pricepoint, they also offer actual shoe/pedal combos. I bought cheap as I wasn't sure I'd like it. now over a year later and I can't see myself ever riding platform pedals again! The pedals are solid. Take rock hit's no problem. The shoes...I'll need to replace those by next season it's looking like.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I liked my CB Mallets for being able to clip in on trails and ride in normal tennis shoes on gravel trails/roads.

I'll sell you my old set, I've actually gone back to flats, clipless do tend to make you lazy.
    Name:  240_crb011_0.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  21.4 KB
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    The Shimano M520 is a solid, reliable pedal. I just bought a second pair for the beater. $26.99 through Nashbar currently.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Help this noob pick out some pedals!!

If platform, Wellgo mg1 $40 eBay or amazon

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I have the Forte Converts. Nice and wide. Relatively cheap at around $40. They're not light and the color selection is non-existent, but I love the threaded, replaceable pins. Your shins won't like them, however.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wellgo MG-1s

mtbr member
    +1 for the converts

mtbr member
    i have been running the straitline defacto on my bikes and i like them they grip really well with any shoes here is a link
    Amazon.com: Straitline Platform Bike Pedals, Black, 9/16-Inch: Sports & Outdoors
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    I just picked up a pair of Nasbar Highlanders. They have SPD cleats on one side and a platform with posts on the other. I've ridden them twice, and I love them! They're super easy to get out of, and having the ability to unclip and ride the flats when it gets really technical is great and gives peace of mind, especially for someone new to clip less. It also means you can west regular shoes for short rides if you like. For just clip less, the Shimano M520's are great, I have them on my CX bike and my beater.

Personally I love being clipped in, I couldn't imagine riding flats for any length of time. I only ride them now when I think I may fall, as I'm not always quick enough to get out of the clip less if I have to dab in a real technical spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    clipless do tend to make you lazy.
    Explain?

For bombproof inexpensive easy to use, my vote is for Time ATAC Aliums.

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    I love these. They're lighter than most pedals posted above, including the clipless. The grip is insane, especially if you pair it with a good pair of shoes like Five Tens.

Wellgo B103 Platform Pedals | Wellgo | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome! Thank you all for your responses!