1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Help a noob choose a bike

Soooo, I'm totally new to mountain biking and want to purchase my first bike. I did some mild downhill last Sunday on a rental bike and got hooked. I've visited two lbs in my area and here's what they got:
    One lbs sells mainly Fuji bikes and the only option they had was the Nevada 1.7. The other lbs had more options: Specialized Rockhopper, Trek X-Caliber 6, X-Caliber 8, and Felt 7-sixty. I'm still doing my research on the different components, but for a total newb it's a bit confusing. By budget is about $1,000. My other options would be ordering online from bikesdirect or Airborne. I know there's a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum so can you please help me out. What would be the best bike in this price range. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    So what kind of riding are you interesting in doing? Mainly DH or some XC riding with plenty of climbing as well? Was the bike you rented a full suspension or hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Mostly XC. The bike I rented was a full suspension specialized which I was told was a $5k bike. That's definitely not the type of a bike I would need. Looking for a hard tail

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As a complete noon myself I had no idea of all the different bike styles. I walked in asking for a mountain bike and the sales guys ask me what kind of riding. I wasnt sure how to answer that and new I needed to do more research.

So make sure you know what you want out of the bike and just buy the best you can now. Don't think to upgrade cause that will end up costing more later.

Also I never took adjustments into account but I bought my bike from my lbs and comes with free adjustments. Had I bought my bike from online store I would have to pay $15-25 per adjustments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 330ZHP View Post
    Mostly XC. The bike I rented was a full suspension specialized which I was told was a $5k bike. That's definitely not the type of a bike I would need. Looking for a hard tail
    You can check out some used bikes and could score a pretty good hard tail for under $1000. If you're into getting one new, you should check out the Giant Talon 27.5" as well. Its a nice riding bike for the money. Diamond Cycle in Montclair should carry them. Definitely worth a test ride.

mtbr member
    budget is about $1,000.
    If you're looking for a hardtail (which will definitely give you more bang for your buck) in the $1000 range for an XC bike, I would strongly recommend you go with Airborne.

If you can somehow swing the Goblin instead of the Seeker, getting a Reba shock on a bike in that price range is a great deal, and the front shock is one of the most important components. The Seeker is also a very nice bike at the price they are asking, and the Recon is a nice fork.

Hardtail XC is a great way to get into the sport, and either of the bikes above are much better beginner mountain bikes than most people's first bikes.

Shakester has recommended a 27.5" bike. I have a strong personal preference for 29". There is no wrong answer when it comes to XC, but you might want to try riding both and seeing if you strongly prefer one wheel size over the other. (Try to ride comparable XC hardtails with similar geometry) Assuming you like the 29" wheel size, I definitely recommend going to the Airborne route for an XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would look on bikes direct and go a little cheaper and upgrade the fork. You don't want to spend a ton on your first bike because you don't know what kind of riding you're going to be doing, and you should really have some experience when purchasing a bike. As for adjustments, learn to do it yourself that way if you're out and tweak something you can fix it. It's such a waste of money to pay somebody to take knowledge away from you.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I would look on bikes direct and go a little cheaper and upgrade the fork. You don't want to spend a ton on your first bike because you don't know what kind of riding you're going to be doing, and you should really have some experience when purchasing a bike. As for adjustments, learn to do it yourself that way if you're out and tweak something you can fix it. It's such a waste of money to pay somebody to take knowledge away from you.
    I don't think that's necessarily a bad idea, but even a nice Bikes Direct bike with a good deal on a fork purchased separately is going to cost more than the equivalent build from Airborne. And I do think that a heavy entry level coil spring fork is really a waste of money and should be avoided. Even if you're upgrading it, why bother buying it if Airborne can give you a better finished product without the hassle at the same price?

As for upgrading the fork and adjusting the bike, these are both great skills to learn...eventually. If you get really into the sport, you'll want to be able to clean, maintain and tweak your own bike, and replacing a fork is not as daunting as it might seem. That said, I wouldn't start by trying to be a bike mechanic, I'd buy a reasonable bike, which your budget will definitely support, and assemble it yourself if you're comfortable.

Bikes Direct and Airborne will both ship you a bike that's 90% assembled. The final 10% is not difficult, but if you're not confident to assemble it yourself, there's some piece of mind and a great learning opportunity to be had by having your LBS do the final assembly for you. Just find an LBS you are comfortable with that will let you watch and learn what they do and what they check to ensure the bike is good.

Same goes for tune-ups. There's plenty of great videos that will show you how to adjust your derailleurs, but if you just can't seem to get it, a professional tune-up is a great idea, and try to find a nice LBS that will allow you to watch, ask questions and learn.

Nothing wrong with just wanting to ride, but your ride will benefit from constant maintenance instead of just the rare full tune-up if you are willing to learn to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was a bmw tech by trade and can do all the work easily. But I'm new to this sport so I would rather just ride and learn bit by bit. My lbs is only 5 blocks away so it no big deal to just drop in.
    My next bike I plan to build, but I must learn what I can before I start buying parts.

Knowing how to do adjustments is a great skill but doing it wrong you might break something. I was adjusting the front cable and totally messed it up. So I just took it into the shop and the guy fixed it in about 5min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you guys. Lots of good advice. I'm gonna have to check out Diamond Cycle in Montclair. Looks like they have a lot of Giant and GT bikes. From the bikes I've checked out so far I like the Felt the most. Any opinions on it?

mtbr member
    Thank you guys. Lots of good advice. I'm gonna have to check out Diamond Cycle in Montclair. Looks like they have a lot of Giant and GT bikes. From the bikes I've checked out so far I like the Felt the most. Any opinions on it?
    I do not have experience with the Felt, but I have a 2013 Karakoram 2.0, which is very similar to the current Karakorams, and it feels extremely similar (geometry) to the Airborne Seeker, which is what a riding buddy of mine rides.

The higher end Karakorams came with, and still come with, XC28s, which are garbage. I like my Karakoram very much, but I've spent more on upgrades than I have on the bike. (I got the bike for less than $600, so no regrets )

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    I do not have experience with the Felt, but I have a 2013 Karakoram 2.0, which is very similar to the current Karakorams, and it feels extremely similar (geometry) to the Airborne Seeker, which is what a riding buddy of mine rides.

The higher end Karakorams came with, and still come with, XC28s, which are garbage. I like my Karakoram very much, but I've spent more on upgrades than I have on the bike. (I got the bike for less than $600, so no regrets )
    Would you mind checking out the specs on this one 7 Sixty - Felt Bicycles

mtbr member
    Would you mind checking out the specs on this one 7 Sixty - Felt Bicycles
    The XC30 is not a great fork. The diagram below is specifically for Rockshox's 29" forks, but it's true for 27.5 and 26" as well.
    Help a noob choose a bike-rockshox29.png
    The bike has 27.5 wheels, not 29, so I would compare it to other 27.5" bikes if that's what you're most comfortable on. Personally, I prefer 29ers as an XC or Trail bike, but it's personal preference. (I'm 6'2", and I think if I were significantly shorter I'd be significantly more likely to seriously consider a 27.5, but I'm happy with a 26" and two 29" bikes.)

The geometry of the Felt is something you should ride to find out what you like, but as far as components go, they're not great. It's certainly a reasonable entry level bike, but if you compare it to Airborne's Seeker, the biggest difference between the two is a better fork. (They both have reasonable hydraulic brakes, which are great if you can afford them.)

If you feel significantly more comfortable on a 27.5 than a 29, or you like the Felt significantly more than the Karakoram, don't buy the Seeker just to try to get a bike that gives you more bang for your buck. That said, if you do like the Karakoram as much as the Felt (as far as geometry goes) then I would recommend the Seeker. (For whatever reason, Airborne bikes come with really narrow handlebars, which is an easy thing to change, unless you like that.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi im new to mtb and looking to buy a new bike. Pls tell me which bike to buy.

Jamis trail x2 Or Gt timberline 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngmtb View Post
    Hi im new to mtb and looking to buy a new bike. Pls tell me which bike to buy.

Jamis trail x2 Or Gt timberline 1.0
    Start a new post, talk about where you live, what kind of riding you want to do, what bikes you've looked at, why you've narrowed it down to a specific few and what your budget is.

Don't hijack someone else's thread unless you want to buy the right bike for them instead of the right bike for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ok thanks and sorry imnew

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    But honestly which one is better

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't say that the dart fork are bad, they are leaps above the suntour equivalent and will get you started. A dart might be heavy, but it is at least a fluid movement, and is a pretty much zero maintenence fork, considering the price. Later on if do an epicon for 200, but a dart will last you the first few years of learning the ropes. And by then, you might want a completely different bike anyways.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Felt is a great option for a beginner, go for it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvh22a View Post
    I was a bmw tech by trade and can do all the work easily. But I'm new to this sport so I would rather just ride and learn bit by bit. My lbs is only 5 blocks away so it no big deal to just drop in.
    My next bike I plan to build, but I must learn what I can before I start buying parts.

Knowing how to do adjustments is a great skill but doing it wrong you might break something. I was adjusting the front cable and totally messed it up. So I just took it into the shop and the guy fixed it in about 5min.
    why are you a "was..." BMW wrench...just wondering
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can make your search easier by dropping any bikes with XCR,M,T or lower 'X' forks. Those are limited to bike paths. The more difficult/fun the trail is the more important the fork is to bike control. $200 to upgrade one of those bikes to a Raidon air fork.
    The 2013 Marin Bobcat 29 on ebay is about 650 and has decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive and a Raidon air fork.
    BD has a good deal on a Gravity Point 4 in 15 or 19. X7/X9 and a Recon Silver air. $699.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just get whatever bike is laying around for cheap. Cant remember the last time I went out and bought a brand new bike. I like the used stuff because a derailleur breaks off the mount and the LBS says $200 to fix, and I just snatch it up for el-cheapo-mundo!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just checked out the airborne goblin.Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

Says paypal has interest free for 6 months.

I just paid $1200 for my jamis dragon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Looks like the Airborne bikes give you the most bang for your buck. Will ride some 29ers at lbs and see how they fit me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No connection with this listing.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

This bike is the equivalent to a Seeker but a 2013 at a reduced price. For the 200 dif you can get Shimano Deore m615 brakes for a major upgrade $112/CRC. RXL 720mm carbon bars off ebay for $50. Uno shorter stem $25 off ebay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast