1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Help for a new rider purchasing a bike

I am female, 50 years old and have a new interest in purchasing a bike. I want to ride for the outdoors and exercise to get into shape. I have a habit of signing up at the local gym and only go for awhile. I will be riding on flat areas, work into slight hills, minor bike paths and beach area. I don't know where I'll end up with new interest. Soo.... the local bike store recommended Comfort, mountain bikes. The Giant Sedona ($249.00), Wildwood Comfort, same price, Cypress SX. Also recommended was a beach cruiser. I went to 2 local stores. Also Schwinn bikes at local department store. Any help would be appreciated.

There's no app for this.

some thoughts

I'm old as dirt so here goes:

1) if it's not fun, and comfortable, you won't ride it

2) find a store (LBS= Local Bike Store) that you like and trust, and have them fit you to a brand name, lighter bike. Beach Cruisers can weigh in at 40+ lbs and unless you do the boardwalk exclusively, and don't need to drag it inside, is a bad idea.

3) a comfort bike is not a bad idea, but don't discount a Mtn bike with riser bars...you may wish to venture on to some mild off road trails, and a comfort bike can't easily handle those.

Stay away from Dept store bikes, they are junk; heavy, ill fitting, poorly made, yada yada...(read the 1st post at the very top)

Giant makes good bikes; interesting your store wants $240 when MSRP is $230???

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11376

I'd be tempted to look hard at this bike, same price and it is a bit more off-road capable, while at home on paths etc.

Anyhow, take your time, find the right bike, and then enjoy the heck out of the ride!

Jim

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    JimC. spoke the truth. When I was a bike seller I usually tried to get people just starting out to buy a mtn bike. Why, cause you can ride it anywhere. Other types of bikes are not suited for off-road if you decide to ride singletrack. You can always make a mtn bike more comfortable by changing the bar, stem or seat.

Buy from a local bike shop and you should be happy. You can get a very nice bike for under $350-$400.

So, go forth and get a bike and be hooked on cycling. Enjoy.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Freshly Fujified

All good advice

Buy from a bike shop, not a department store. Give consideration to a bike that works well in both paved paths and off road. Keep in mind what the reality is regarding the terrain you will be riding. Couild be that once you hit a dirt path, you're hooked. Don't let age be a factor in assuming mountain biking isn't for you. Jim's a great example, except he's not old as dirt-HE'S OLDER!! (joking). Jim rides some of the most aggressive riding styles there are, and his age has very little relevance to his desire or abilities. He's a great resource for advice here too.

On the other hand, something liuke the Sedona could be perfect for you. Only you can decide that based on what you think will suit your needs.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery