1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Help a New Rider Please - 2011 Bushpilot Vs. 2010 Giant Boulder?

Hi all, new rider here and new to the forums, and am greatly enjoying the wealth of information available here. I was hesitant to even post yet another "which bike should I buy" question, however after doing my own independent research and trying out the two bikes in question I'd still like the advice of the more seasoned riders out here if possible.

I went to my LBS today and tested out the 2011 Norco Bushpilot ($535) and the 2010 Giant Boulder ($325). The Norco is on the high end of my budget, but I thought both were great bikes. My question is as far as components/frame, etc., is there a glaring difference (besides the Norco having disc brakes and the Giant having V-brakes) in quality/durability between the 2 bikes?

Like I said I thought both were enjoyable to ride with my limited expertise, but want to get the most durable bike I can within my price range that has the most versatility. I plan on riding on light to moderate trails, as well as city roads for commuting here and there.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: I just saw that my same LBS also has an '09 Norco Katmandu at around the same price range ($499)...I haven't ridden it, but would appreciate any advice on choosing between these 3.
    Last edited by runkulus; 04-12-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Changing Thread Title

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ride the 2010 boulder It is a great bike for the price, I ride pretty hard, in other words not much control, I went with this bike due to the price range it left some cash for upgrades.
    I ride all single track trails with it, over winter i upgraded to a 9 speed bottom end witch includes new shifters,rim, cables and chain. last night i put a new rockshox reacon solo air tk silver front fork, I have not rode it much since the upgrades but the 9 speed should help with hill climbs, and the fork will hopefully keep me from bottoming out the spring. With all that I'm right around 800 in the bike but I have confidence it will last for years to come. a cheap bike that gets rode is better than a expensive bike that sits in a garage.

hope this helps

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I think you'll be fine with the Bushpilot. The Katmandu is more focused on drops and jumps, and generally would be heavier than the Bushpilot. The Giant Boulder isn't bad either, but you're talking about a $200 pricepoint difference. If you want to really compare, compare it to the Giant Revel. That's about the same pricepoint, and in which case, trumps the Bushpilot soundly.

Giant probably made the Bushpilot frame for Norco anyways. :P
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Definately take a look at the new for 2011 Giant Revel. Sweet bike on the cheap. A new one can be bought for between $300-340 depending on how your LBS wants to deal. I have two buddies that love theirs...and the above price is what they paid. One bought his at the LBS where they know him & he's done a lot of business...$300 for the Revel 2. My other buddy bought his at an LBS 50 miles away & had never set foot in the store...he paid $340. Again...excellent bikes for that small amount of coin.

Also...you mentioned the 2010 Boulder. Make sure its an SE model or it'll have a heavy steel frame instead of aluminum. Also note that ALL 2011 Boulders are also steel frame. For 2011 the new Revel is a much better option...and of course it features a sweet new aluminum frame. In all honesty...I ride a 2010 XTC-1 and the Revels go everywhere & do everything I do...at less than half the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Some great suggestions, thanks for the advice. Ahh to have those low prices here in Eastern Canada....I checked my LBS (only one in town) and they have the Revel 1 at $599, but if it is that much better than the Bushpilot it's worth considering for sure. I suppose I could also ask about them ordering in a Revel 2 since they didn't have any in-store that I could look at.

They also have advertised on their site a '10 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc w/ "free" Speedzone Elite wireless computer included for $599 as well...but after looking at what the HR Sport Discs go for in the US (MSRP $555) I'm thinking of taking a drive down south

I'm just going to ride anything I can in my price range, and keep my eyes peeled for good used deals (not a whole lot in my area), and go with what feels best to me, and has decent components.

Thanks again!