1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Help with a New Niner Singlespeed Build...

Hello all,

This is my second post. Hopefully it's in the right forum.

I'm confused. I'm looking to build up a single speed rigid. I currently ride a 2013 Redline Monocog and have enjoyed the experience so much that I thought I'd treat myself to a really nice birthday present. Here's some highlights of my idea:

Niner Air 9 (carbon or alloy, not sold yet on which) - TANG
    Niner Carbon RDO fork (won on eBay last night, so now I'm committed.)
    Niner RDO Seatpost (I have a Syntace Hi-Flex on my geared bike...nice)
    Crankset: Don't know yet. Big question on this...
    Chainring: Q Ring (maybe 34T, not sure)
    Brakes: Don't know.
    Wheelset: Don't know yet...maybe custom built to my needs
    Handlebar: Don't know. Probably a flat bar, as they seem comfy.

I'm probably 210lbs. in full gear, maybe more, and hopefully less soon. What do the experts think so far? I know it's not a lot of info, but...yeah.

I'm not fast, but I'd like to get faster.

Feedback?

Thanks, everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is a single speed form here with lots info. You could take parts off your old bike. Do you have a budget? What is the riding like where you are? What do you like/dislike about your old bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I see. Next time I'll hop into the single speed forum. There are an overwhelming number of forum areas for me to figure out which is most appropriate.

The only thing I'll keep from my old bike are the pedals (egg beater 2s) and possibly the seat (Cobb). As for budget, I won't mind spending some decent coin if it's great stuff. So, within reason I don't have a budget. I don't know how much sense that made.

Most of my riding I do in Maryland and Virginia. Trails like Fountainhead, Patapsco, Fairland, etc. A few rocks, some nice flow, definitely gets muddy, never dusty, etc.

Old bike. I really like it, save for a few big things, some of which are easily resolved, some not so. The mechanical disc brakes suck. The weight is considerable at around 28 pounds with no suspension or gears. It feels nice and compliant. I'm looking for something lighter and faster with much better brakes.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm a new rider. I'm in my upper 30s. I'm overweight, but working on it. Decent fitness, but not stellar. And...I'm REALLY enjoying the single speed experience. My other bike is a titanium hardtail, but I ride the Redline more for whatever reason.

Thanks for any input you might have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone have any other advice for me? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Skip the Q-Ring. Get something like an AbsoluteBlack chainring or if you can find an HBC ring from someone that doesn't need it anymore, they are awesome too.

Crank, I prefer SRAM stuff for spiderless. I'm running a Truvativ AKA crank and I also have an X.9 crank. You can also get a, X.7 crank. XX1 if you want carbon.

Wheels, yeah, handbuilt the way to go.

Brakes, I'd say Shimano XT or Hopes. I just ordered a set of Hopes. They are universally regarded as kickass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why don't you make the ti bike into a single speed ,just to try something different .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    this thread is beyond the scope of beginner forum here. repost it in the other subforum and youll get better responses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm learning a lot. As per your advice, I'll repost in another forum. Which do you recommend? Singlespeed?

mtbr member
    You are aware that the frame and in some cases its model year dictates a bunch of component standards: tapered vs straight fork, seat post diameter, bottom bracket type which dictates crankset type...
    You'll need an appropriate headset (just get the Niner one if you are confused) and a bottom bracket. If the Niner eccentric bottom bracket works on the frame then you don't need a chain tensioner. Otherwise you need some type chain tensioning device.
    The type of dropout on your fork dictates the axle type of your front wheel.
    It's not really too confusing but check compatibilities before you start buying.
    Consider Stans wheels. I and many others love them. Look at the weight limit for the wheels before you order.
    I'd recommend Shimano brakes if you have the budget.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm aware of the differences in standards, though a few of them confuse me...particularly the bottom bracket stuff. I'm also confused on crankset and chainring standards, but I can look that stuff out. I appreciate all the responses. I'm going to post this in the single speed section as suggested above.