1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Help, new......easy please....

I am new to the forum and mountain biking as well. I had a bike as a kid but then again who didnt, right? My last bike is when they first came out with the dual suspension and my dad got it for me for my birthday. So just to give you an idea as to when I was last on one.

I am looking to get a new one and I am becoming more active in the outdoors. I already spend enough time out there fishing and boating, since my back surgery to repair some disc I am looking to become even more active and lose some weight.

I am 6'1 weigh in at 300 lbs, and I work full time as a paramedic. I am active and I am not 300lbs of chewed bubble gum either. I have a gut that I proudly earned through multiple nights at the bar and many hours of Call of Duty.

So now that I am looking to get back into being outside and doing this, things have changed. I noticed a lot of different terms, way higher prices, and that I am now using my own money to buy this and not begging parents. This is what I am looking for:

Something that will be comfortable to ride
    Fits me well
    Doesnt hurt my wallet (under $1K around $500)
    Front or dual suspension doesnt matter
    Disc brakes
    More importantly will support my fat arse

I am just looking for some tips and suggestions, I have not searched the forum at all just jumped on and started posting. I am at work so I dont want to get caught up in a search and then get pulled out on a call.

Any help, suggestions, or just words of advice will be completely appreciated. Haters......drink the purple hateraid!

**edit** Might I also add that I have a huge head......I wear a size 8 hat and they fit loose, I wear a size XX/XXXL motorcycle helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There is another section for big riders-- Cldesdales. Plenty of similar situations with suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you much.

***Mods could you please move this***