1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Help needed finding a USED/NEW bike <$500ish CL/Ebay Etc.

What region of the country do I live in? North East Tennessee (50 mins from Asheville NC, 1 hour from Damascus VA.)

Where do I plan to ride my new bike? Mostly on trails in Kingsport, TN, Johnson City, TN, Damascus, VA, Boone, NC and Asheville, NC.

How much time do I plan on devoting to this hobby? I am hoping to ride about 50 miles per week.

What is my previous cycling experience? Childhood messing around. Riding on the Creeper Trail in Damascus VA.

Have I participated in other hobbies, sports or activities that may give me relevant skills? Skateboarded as a youngster, Played Rugby for 11 years.

What are my mechanical abilities? I'm an Industrial Electrician, pretty good with my hands. Work on my own Audi S4 and R32.

Do I currently own a bike? No.

Why do I want to buy a new bike? To ride trails, have fun and get back into shape (currently 200lbs and 6' tall).

How much research have I already done and do I have an idea of what I want? Not a whole lot. My favorite bike I've seen so far is a GT Karakoram 2.0 29er Mountain Bike and a couple of used bikes on CL Jamis Dakar XC Pro and Reduced! Gary Fisher Marlin Mountain Bike (I live in Jonesborough, TN. Would be willing to travel as far as Asheville, NC. Knoxville, TN. within 100 miles or so for a great deal)

Do I have friends who are into the hobby? What's their mechanical and riding experience? Mother in-laws boyfriend, beginner. Friend and Brother in-law are middle of the row in terms of experience.

What kind of bikes do my riding buddies ride? $1500 Cannondale (not sure which model, made in the US though)

What kind of bikes do I see on the trails I plan to ride? (Full suspension, hardtail, rigid, single speed, geared) Mixture, mainly geared though.

Can I really afford this hobby? Are my credit cards paid off? Do I have savings in the bank and money to burn? Yes.

How much money do I want to spend on this hobby over the next year? Not much more than it takes to buy and maintain a decent bike. If i get hooked on the hobby I'll most likely go all out.

What am I trying to accomplish by participating in this hobby? Fitness/Having fun.

How do I expect my life to be different a year from the day my new bike arrives? I'd like to be in better shape from riding and working out w/ kettle bells and it would be a nice bonus if I found a new hobby I could get my teeth stuck into.

Thanks for any advice/help, I greatly appreciate it! I'm 33 years old, 6' tall with an inside leg of 33". From what I've read I'd need a 18/19" frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Found this too, may be able to knock him down on the price.

2012 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That Jamis looks like a screaming deal to me. If it's the right size, with a maybe a few changes over time for personal preference and fit (seat, stem, grips and pedals, etc), you could rock that thing for a number of years and through a ton of progression without ever worrying if the bike is up to the task. Air suspension is super tunable, thing looks like it was looked after well...I'd jump on it. It's a far higher level bike than the others you posted. Check the MSRP-

2006 Jamis Dakar XC Pro - BikePedia

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    That Jamis looks like a screaming deal to me. If it's the right size, with a maybe a few changes over time for personal preference and fit (seat, stem, grips and pedals, etc), you could rock that thing for a number of years and through a ton of progression without ever worrying if the bike is up to the task. Air suspension is super tunable, thing looks like it was looked after well...I'd jump on it. It's a far higher level bike than the others you posted. Check the MSRP-

2006 Jamis Dakar XC Pro - BikePedia
    Hey Slap,

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll email him tonight and see if I can pick it up tomorrow, maybe I'll see if he'd take $450.

I did a little more research and owners of the bike seem to be very happy with it. The Blue Book price ranges from $815(fair) to $1277(like new), so you're definitely on point there, it does seem like a great deal.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Right on. Rumor has it you've got some epic riding in your neck of the woods; I'm thinking that thing should work out well for you if you can grab it. For a lot of beginners, it's sometimes better to stick to hardtails and simpler bikes simply due to mechanical experience, but if you work on your cars and don't mind doing a little internet digging for specifics, you'll be good to go as far as getting the suspension set up correctly, etc.

It does look like there have been a number of parts changed out from original spec - you can bring the Bikeapedia page and see what's different, or better yet, ask the seller if he can send you a spec list. I'm pretty sure from the pic that crank, derailleur, fork, wheels have been swapped out from the original spec (which was pretty high end). Still looks like a good deal to me, but it's always nice to know exactly what your getting.

Chime in with an outcome...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Right on. Rumor has it you've got some epic riding in your neck of the woods; I'm thinking that thing should work out well for you if you can grab it. For a lot of beginners, it's sometimes better to stick to hardtails and simpler bikes simply due to mechanical experience, but if you work on your cars and don't mind doing a little internet digging for specifics, you'll be good to go as far as getting the suspension set up correctly, etc.

It does look like there have been a number of parts changed out from original spec - you can bring the Bikeapedia page and see what's different, or better yet, ask the seller if he can send you a spec list. I'm pretty sure from the pic that crank, derailleur, fork, wheels have been swapped out from the original spec (which was pretty high end). Still looks like a good deal to me, but it's always nice to know exactly what your getting.

Hey bud,

The fella sent me some pics of the components. He's the second owner and knows very little about bikes and purchased with the help of a friend. He's sent me some pictures though if you wouldn't mind to help identity the replaced/upgraded parts.

Thanks very much , really appreciate the advice so far.

Help needed finding a USED/NEW bike &lt;0ish CL/Ebay Etc.-image.jpg

Help needed finding a USED/NEW bike &lt;0ish CL/Ebay Etc.-image.jpgHelp needed finding a USED/NEW bike &lt;0ish CL/Ebay Etc.-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah - looks like crank, wheels, brakes, derailleurs have all been swapped out from the original parts to lower level bits - probably about the same level you'd be looking at on an a decent entry-level bike. So, not as screaming a deal as it would be with the original parts, but if you can take if for a little test ride and everything seems to work well, I think it's still a decent buy, specially if you can get him to come down a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah - looks like crank, wheels, brakes, derailleurs have all been swapped out from the original parts to lower level bits - probably about the same level you'd be looking at on an a decent entry-level bike. So, not as screaming a deal as it would be with the original parts, but if you can take if for a little test ride and everything seems to work well, I think it's still a decent buy, specially if you can get him to come down a bit.
    Ah that's a shame, thanks for looking into that though. If I could get him down to $425/$450 do you think I should buy it? Or should I wait it out for a better deal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, that would've been a ridiculous deal. I still think it's a solid buy if everything is in good shape (as it looks to be) and is working well. Worth checking out in person and taking a spin if it's not too inconvenient; maybe your buddy or brother in law that ride could come with you.

You could also check out some of your area bike club's forums for deals - usually less junk to sort through. Could throw up a 'wanted' ad on those too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah, that would've been a ridiculous deal. I still think it's a solid buy if everything is in good shape (as it looks to be) and is working well. Worth checking out in person and taking a spin if it's not too inconvenient; maybe your buddy or brother in law that ride could come with you.

You could also check out some of your area bike club's forums for deals - usually less junk to sort through. Could throw up a 'wanted' ad on those too.
    Haha yeah too good to be true. Either way I'm glad that you picked up on those downgraded replacement parts.

My brother inlaw finishes work at 3pm tomorrow so I think we'll take a ride up there and check it out.

I figured this will be a decent first bike and would probably be better than buying something new at this price point, and I can always upgrade some of the replaced parts in the future.

Oh yeah and with regards to the epic trails here- my friend in Asheville has shown me some wicked videos on his go-pro, looks like a ton of fun, can't wait to get started.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Nick

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cool. Good luck.