1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

help with my new chain

im putting together a specialized enduro comp, its a 9 speed shimano deore setup. anyways i bought a 8-9 speed chain. and i dont have the old one.

stock wise the new chain is to long and has alot of hang, how short
    should i go to get it as a right fit ?

heres a link to the bikepedia info
    2002 Specialized Enduro Comp FSR - BikePedia

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check out this video @ about 45 seconds they start talking about how to size the chain accordingly. The video shows a road bike, but the concept is the same.

mtbr member
    perfect, thank you very much !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here is the article I used. I went with the simple formula.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing

Just be conservative -- you can always take more off. I shortened mine as per the formula, then replaced my 32-tooth ring with a 36, and had to add two links back. It repeatedly broke where I reconnected it, so am running two master links now.

When you finish, double-check that the rd cage does not rub on the cassette when in the big ring and shifting from the second-biggest to biggest cog.

Sorry such a long answer to a simple question -- I learned all this the hard way