1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Help with my creaking crank!

During my ride yesterday, my bike developed a very noticeable creaking sound whenever pressure was applied to either pedal of the crank arm. Every pedal stroke it creaks and when I get off and apply direct pressure on either pedal, it creaks as well. This issue just started. I know it has nothing to do with the pedals itself. I have an FSA Afterburner BB30 triple crankset.

Do I need to tighten the crank arm or bottom bracket? Or perhaps grease the pedal threads? Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jeremy1983; 04-30-2013 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would say your best bet would be to take off the crank arm, look for any deformations, lube the spindle, make sure your bearings arent "crunchy" and lube them up too. re-install, test, hopefully victory.

mtbr member
    If it's a square taper bb then just torque the crankarm bolts to spec. (tight) before you ride it anymore or you will permanently damage it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Now both crank arms creak when applying direct pressure or pedaling. What tool(s) do I need to tighten? It looks hexagonal and thus should require something like a really large allen wrench. I'll attach a few pics...

Help with my creaking crank!-crankarmleft.jpg
    Help with my creaking crank!-carnkarmright.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone??

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    Anyone??
    Have you checked your pivots? Specifically the main pivot right above the BB?

The fun part about press-fit BBs is that if the BB is creaking, you're in for a troublesome diagnostic session. I'd check the pivots before I went any further, perhaps even going so far as to pull them apart to clean and lube anything you can.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BB30 = fun times creaking. You can try to grease it, get new bearings, etc and it will eventually come back. There is a special loctite that you are supposed to use that keeps it from creaking. If you do a search with Cannondale and BB30 loctite fixes, the appropriate loctite compound should come up.

This is all assuming that it is the BB that is creaking however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The more I'm researching this creaking issue, it appears that it could be a lingering issue with the BB30, and something beyond my mechanical abilities at this time. I could deal with a bit of creaking if that's all it is... just creaking. But if it's indicative of a greater problem, I'll most likely take it in for inspection before another ride. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you take it in, they'll probably say you need new bottom bracket. If they install it, make sure they use the proper loctite. I think it is 609? Otherwise the problem will just come up again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And heres the BB30 process with loctite.

How To: BB30 Overhaul/Bearing Replacement | Volagi