1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Help me put together a seat bag for flats...

Looking for something like this:
    http://treksandiego.com/product/bont...ck-51202-1.htm

But would like recommendations on putting something together myself.

What seat bag, multi-tool, pump, patch set, etc. would you put in your bag for ~$50

mtbr member
    Leyzne L-Caddy - $20
    Park Tool IB-3C multi - $15
    Pair of Pedro irons - $2
    Tube or two if you can fit them - $3 each
    Patch kit - $2
    Some Tyvec squares - FREE
    Blackburn Mammoth 2Stage Pump - $25
    Total - $62

More than $50 but is a good kit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nubster where did you get those prices from?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What do you think about the Topeak Alien II vs the Park Tool IB-3C you recommended?
    http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Alien-2...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

mtbr member
    Yeah...it seems decent and gets alright reviews (better than the Park). I just listed the Park because that is the one I have and I like it well enough. But really any multi-tool that has the tools required to make a trailside fix should work just fine. Topeak is a good brand, at least anything that I have ever had made by them has been good stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nubster where did you get those prices from?

mtbr member
    Some from the net, some from what I paid at my LBS.

Pump, irons, patch kit, and tubes are internet prices. Multi and the Caddy are LBS prices. You can find the L-Caddy online for about $23 and the Park IB-3 for around $18.

Oh...and sorry I totally missed that you asked me about the prices earlier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll probably go for the same stuff, but I'm going to get a Crank Brothers CB-17 or CB-19 muli-tool. Seems to get positive reviews, and has a lifetime warranty like the Blackburn stuff.

mtbr member
    Yeah...pretty much most of the multi-tools get the job done. Just make sure they have the tools on them that you need. For some reason and I did not realize until I needed it, my Park tool does not have a flat screwdriver which I thought was really stupid. My buddy's bike went down and all we needed to get it fixed was a flat screw driver and nope, it wasn't there.