1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Help Me Pick Out My First Bike

Hey,
    I was looking for some help picking my first mountain bike. Im not sure what kind of riding I want to do, but jsut to be safe (and from what I have read so far), I will say a little bit of everything. I would also like to do some small jumps, nothing too extreme just yet. I am looking to spend between 500-600 dollars... I would really prefer something with disc breaks. I have looked at Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Ibex, Gary Fisher... which would you suggest and what brands have I overlooked? My stats are.... 6'4 185lbs. Thanks!!!

spec4life???..smh...
    Iwouldnt worry so much about brands as the componets. One thing to take into consideration is to go to a lbs so you can sit on the bike because every brand has its own fit.

If you want to do some jumps you need a fork with at least 100mm of travel. I might look at the baseline rockhopper from spec. It is a good bike and should handle most things a beginner would throw at it. However it comes equiped with vbrakes. In my opinion most vbrakes do as good of job as most mech disc on this class of bikes.

Another thing to keep in mind is leaving enough money for a helmet and a few other essentials.

guy who bikes
    I would also throw in the Cannondale F6 and the Giant Yukon for consideration. I highly recommend going to every bike store in the area and talking to them and test riding. Also, you should know that Cannondale and Specialized tend to hold their resale value better than the other brands you're considering. I only say this because I see guys get into the sport and want to upgrade to a full suspension after a year or two and want to resell their hardtail. Good luck and don't rush the decision.

Flying Goat
    my vote goes to the Ibex... awesome bikes, very well specced and an awesome company which will have your back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    my vote goes to the Ibex... awesome bikes, very well specced and an awesome company which will have your back...
    I'd love to test ride an Ibex but where do they sell them. I don't see them anywhere in the NYC area or Long Island.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    I'd love to test ride an Ibex but where do they sell them. I don't see them anywhere in the NYC area or Long Island.
    no LBS carries them. They sell straight from the manufacturer to the consumer and thus the awesome spec and frame and product. It also gives the rider direct connection with the company rather than going with a 3rd person in the middle. Instead of having a relationship with the LBS? Have one with a manufacturer and an awesome community of riders who'll help ya out... XD

As for testrides, i would post here and see if there's anyone in your area who has one...

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibex/

If you're ever in Norcal though you'll find tons of Ibexs around... I've got a Zone and an Ignition you can ride should you ever be in the area...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I decided to look for bikes on craigslist, figured i could find a good deal on a used bike. I found this one, it sounds like it is pretty good, fully customized except for the frame. Here is the link http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...738267319.html just copy and paste it!

mtbr member
    I would suggest a Norco of some kind.

mtbr member
    Hmm. That's a nice deal on that Kona.
    If it fits, it's a good bike for that price, but be aware, it may need some mechanical tweaks or repairs.

MTBR Member
    nice kona but listen to mook hes a smart dude

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    so I went into my local bike store and just looked at what they had. The carry Gary Fisher, Giant, a few Fuji, and Rocky Mountain. Didnt really look at the Fuji's or Rocky Mountain's but I did see a couple Fishers and Giants I liked. I saw a GF Piranha, Marlin Disc, and Tassajara. The Giants I saw were XTC's. The most expensive of the bunch was the tassajara I believe. It was 850. I decided im going to save my money a little longer so I can afford something a little nicer than a 500 dollar bike. Out of the ones I pointed out, which bike would be good for what I am looking to do... All Mountain and eventually some small jumps? Also, which has the best frame? From what I have read the frame is the most important part of the bike, plus, I can always upgrade as things fall apart. I know most people advise against that, but i figure if the frame is really good and sturdy, then it will last longer than the componenets and when i upgrade the frame will still be solid so I can use it for a while longer. Thanks!!

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bballfreak150
    I know most people advise against that, but i figure if the frame is really good and sturdy, then it will last longer than the componenets and when i upgrade the frame will still be solid so I can use it for a while longer. Thanks!!
    No, you're right on track. Buy for the frame.

Maybe check out the Gary Fisher Mullet. It's an "all-mountain" hardtail. The components aren't great but it's definitely worth upgrading when they fail:
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mullet

I have a friend who rides an Opie (same frame) and while the components aren't so good they work fine and the frame is a beast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I remember seeing that one at my LBS, when i get my money in order I will definitely take a look at that one. thanks!!

guy who bikes
    for that price range i would vote for either of the giant xtc's, giant make a solid frame that should hold up, but realistically all of those are practically the same bike, so buy the one that fits best (as always). good luck

mtbr member

Resources

I just read an article in Mountain Bike Action magazine that might be helpful. They did a shootout of full suspension XC bikes under $800. I thought it was a good article. Should be easy to get at any news stand. If not, the article may be on their web site. http://www.mbaction.com

The ride I thought looked like an incredible value is the Gian Yukon FX. There some reviews on it at Buzzillions http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_443802...kon_fx_reviews It's a pretty darn sweet looking ride for $750. A touch over your stated price range, but I think you'd be happy in the long run that you up'd your ante a 100 bucks!

Good luck and welcome to the best lifestyle on the planet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks sierracycler, you answered my next question before I even got to ask it! I am starting to want to go full suspension instead of hardtail and spend a little more money. Ive been running around my house looking for things to sell haha. I was looking at the Trek Fuel EX 5.5, Specialized FsrXc. I have decided to up my limit to 1100. I really like the Giant Yukon FX you pointed out! Plus its cheaper too. But, are there any other FS bikes that I should look at?
    Last edited by bballfreak150; 07-02-2008 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member

Smile Not really in your price range

Glad I can help you.

So, in regard to the Trek Fuel EX 5.5, the reviews show it to be pretty average. Plus it's almost $1,400 and I know its tough to get deals on new Trek bikes or Specialized. Just try to find a dealer that sells online. They control their dealers with an iron fist.

The Special FSR XC has an even worse rating. So buyer beware I guess!

I would suggest doing some more research on Buzzillions, then take the results and use the MTBR forum to get some additional feedback.. The cool thing about their site is that the reviews are written by people who own the bikes. It's credible. I say that sitting here giving you a suggestion on the Giant, but I fully admit, I don't own one. I own a Santa Cruz and a Leader.

That's what I love about their site. Look at this example, full suspension bikes for under $1000.00 How easy is that! The Internet is so awesome for figuring this stuff out so you don't get burned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thinking rationally now (my eyes were getting a little too big for my wallet lol) Im going to keep it at or under 850. I was talking with my gf today and she knows someone at a lbs that can get me a discount on the bikes they carry... Giant, some Trek, and Gary Fisher. So i hope they carry the Yukon FX there so i can get the discount, I will also check out the Tassajara and Piranha as well as talk to whoever works there. Thank you all for your help, ill let you know what i end up with!!

responsible zombie owner
    You're better off starting with a decent HT and seeing if you enjoy the sport, rather than splurging on an average full sus. Plus you'll develop better skills riding a hardtail to begin with.

I like the Ibex bikes from the website, and the company seem supportive and reliable. My Trek 3900 was a good choice to start with. I still ride it and get a lot of fun from it but it's not up to jumping of the sort you're after.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    You're better off starting with a decent HT and seeing if you enjoy the sport, rather than splurging on an average full sus. Plus you'll develop better skills riding a hardtail to begin with.
    x2. Don't the the bike ride for you. Learn how to ride the bike and then spring for something nicer. That way you can take full advantage of the bike.

If you were going to race cars would you immediately buy a Viper? No, you'd learn on something like a Civic and the get something nicer...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thats what i was thinking, plus i can get a better quality HT for the same price as the so-so FS. I have decided on either the Hoo Koo E Koo, Tassajara, Piranha, or 29er Cobia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A friend of mine that works at rei said he can get me the Method 1.0 for 840. Is this a bike worth looking at, especially for that price? Here are its specs....
    Specification Description
    Frame AN6 Aluminum
    Fork RockShox Revelation 409, 130mm travel
    Rear shock RockShox Ario 2.2 with lock-out
    Crankset Truvativ Fire-X, 42/32/22
    Shifters SRAM X-7
    Brakes Avid BB7 Disc, mechanical
    Brake levers Avid Speed Dial 7
    Front derailleur SRAM X-7
    Rear derailleur SRAM X-9
    Head set FSA Orbit MX
    Bottom bracket Giga X Drive
    Rear cog SRAM PG-970, 11/32 8-speed
    Front hub WTB LazerDisc
    Rear hub WTB LazerDisc
    Rims WTB LazerDisc Trail
    Tires Geax Lobo Loco 26x2.3
    Stem Truvativ XR 3D
    Handlebar Truvativ Riserbar Team
    Seat post Truvativ XR
    Saddle WTB Pure V Race
    Pedals Sold separately
    Chain Wipperman 909
    Weight 31 lbs. 8 oz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow - that's a crazy deal. If you don't want it, I'll take it

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraCycler
    The Special FSR XC has an even worse rating. So buyer beware I guess!
    I wouldn't reach any conclusions based on just 2 reviews on Buzzillion.com.
    If you're looking for reviews on bikes, components etc. etc. go to the Mtbr Reviews Here.