1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29

    Help me pick which Hardtail 29er

    Hello Forum, I finally got my 5 posts and now I need your guys/girls input on which bike is better (Price / components) I try and stay with my LBS and not the bigger names (Sports Chek, etc)

    Here are my options:

    KHS Aguila : $670

    Rocky Mountain Soul 29er 17" : $749 (Not sure is 17" is soo small or to big)


    If you have another bike you would like to Suggests that I can get around my area (Ontario, Canada) post! just no more then $800 please.
    Information about myself: Im around 5' 9 1/2", 145 pounds on a good day.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,193
    What will you be doing with the bike? Are you a new rider?
    I would look for hydro brakes, air shock( maybe upgrade later if you are new rider), something lighter than others yet strong for abuse.
    2013 offers a great choice of bikes out there in that price range..I was happy to get one with Hydro brakes..one finger operation if needed and the tire is skidding lol
    awesome
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55
    Looks pretty swings and roundabouts spec-wise (although I've never heard of the brakes used on the KHS). Hubs look a little better on the Rocky as well and personally I prefer the look of the Rockshocks on the Rocky over the RST's on the KHS.

    Do bear in mind that the forks are pretty horrid on both though and particularly given the 29" wheels you may find them flex a lot.

    For the money have you considered looking an ex-demo bike from a friendly LBS or main dealer.

    Admittedly I don't know what sort of deals can be had Stateside but I could have had an ex-demo Specialized Stumpjumper Pro 29er for the equivalent of around $750 and would take that over either of the bikes above in a shot.

    Cheers

    Danny B

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    What I'm looking for in a bike, is Weight (Something below 30 would be nice) Decent components for price, Available in Canada! Hydro Brakes and a Fork that I can lockout for Road.


    Quote Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
    Looks pretty swings and roundabouts spec-wise (although I've never heard of the brakes used on the KHS). Hubs look a little better on the Rocky as well and personally I prefer the look of the Rockshocks on the Rocky over the RST's on the KHS.

    Do bear in mind that the forks are pretty horrid on both though and particularly given the 29" wheels you may find them flex a lot.

    For the money have you considered looking an ex-demo bike from a friendly LBS or main dealer.

    Admittedly I don't know what sort of deals can be had Stateside but I could have had an ex-demo Specialized Stumpjumper Pro 29er for the equivalent of around $750 and would take that over either of the bikes above in a shot.

    Cheers

    Danny B
    Any other suggestions? Max of $1500 (Willing to pay more for a longer lasting bike) Maybe even a decent Trail bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    What will you be doing with the bike? Are you a new rider?
    I would look for hydro brakes, air shock( maybe upgrade later if you are new rider), something lighter than others yet strong for abuse.
    2013 offers a great choice of bikes out there in that price range..I was happy to get one with Hydro brakes..one finger operation if needed and the tire is skidding lol
    awesome
    I will be riding Road and Trail, I'm a new 29er rider yes, The Rocky Mountain Soul has Hydro brakes and air shock is hard to find for under $1000? Have any suggestions though? max of $1500

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    I sort of cringe when I see your budget doubling - it's so easy to get trapped in the mentality of "if I just spend $200 more, I get XXX parts), then to think the same thing again and again until you've convinced yourself you need a $2000 bike. Be honest about the type and frequency of riding you expect to do. If you'll mostly be doing doubletrack, rail trails, etc. on an occasional basis, an $800 bike will likely serve you just fine. The more you spend from that pricepoint will get you progressively nicer and usually longer-lasting components as well as lighter weight.

    Other posters focused on a bike with a good fork - with good reason. Forks are really expensive to buy aftermarket, especially in Ontario. It's way more economical to make a quality fork part of your initial investment. A good fork makes one of the most obvious improvements in ride quality.

    In Ontario, $1500 will certainly get you a nice hardtail that you shouldn't really need to upgrade after purchase. You should be able to find some decent clearances on 2012 models, but selection might be a bit sparse. I was searching last year around this time and ended up with a great deal! Scour all your local LBS's and see what they have.

    Good luck!

    Quote Originally Posted by dRyk View Post
    What I'm looking for in a bike, is Weight (Something below 30 would be nice) Decent components for price, Available in Canada! Hydro Brakes and a Fork that I can lockout for Road.




    Any other suggestions? Max of $1500 (Willing to pay more for a longer lasting bike) Maybe even a decent Trail bike?



    I will be riding Road and Trail, I'm a new 29er rider yes, The Rocky Mountain Soul has Hydro brakes and air shock is hard to find for under $1000? Have any suggestions though? max of $1500

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I sort of cringe when I see your budget doubling - it's so easy to get trapped in the mentality of "if I just spend $200 more, I get XXX parts), then to think the same thing again and again until you've convinced yourself you need a $2000 bike. Be honest about the type and frequency of riding you expect to do. If you'll mostly be doing doubletrack, rail trails, etc. on an occasional basis, an $800 bike will likely serve you just fine. The more you spend from that pricepoint will get you progressively nicer and usually longer-lasting components as well as lighter weight.

    Other posters focused on a bike with a good fork - with good reason. Forks are really expensive to buy aftermarket, especially in Ontario. It's way more economical to make a quality fork part of your initial investment. A good fork makes one of the most obvious improvements in ride quality.

    In Ontario, $1500 will certainly get you a nice hardtail that you shouldn't really need to upgrade after purchase. You should be able to find some decent clearances on 2012 models, but selection might be a bit sparse. I was searching last year around this time and ended up with a great deal! Scour all your local LBS's and see what they have.

    Good luck!
    Your exactly right! That is what I keep doing. Everytime I find a bike I like, I seem to be put down by others reviews. I mainly want to start riding again for fitness and adventure. I live around the Ganaraska forest and lots of other great riding spots! so thats where I most likely will be.

    Have any suggestions on some bikes? That will fit my needs?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55
    I'm a little bit stuck in helping you look as I'm in the UK otherwise I'd have a scout around for you.

    The idea of looking for a 2012 model (or even a 2011 one) is a great one. I know over here you can get some pretty top deals and the spec is usually just as good as the new model.

    Think about the spec and look at what that would cost you. Rockshox Recon Silver Solo Air as a minimum for the fork, the brakes on the Rocky are fine - Shimano M446. Shifters and front / rear mechs are so good these days that any Shimano or SRAM kit should work fine and don't worry too much about the wheels as these are generally another area to upgrade later (or better still learn to build your own - source a set of cheap but good rims and hubs and build 'em up.)

    Cheers

    Danny B

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
    I'm a little bit stuck in helping you look as I'm in the UK otherwise I'd have a scout around for you.

    The idea of looking for a 2012 model (or even a 2011 one) is a great one. I know over here you can get some pretty top deals and the spec is usually just as good as the new model.

    Think about the spec and look at what that would cost you. Rockshox Recon Silver Solo Air as a minimum for the fork, the brakes on the Rocky are fine - Shimano M446. Shifters and front / rear mechs are so good these days that any Shimano or SRAM kit should work fine and don't worry too much about the wheels as these are generally another area to upgrade later (or better still learn to build your own - source a set of cheap but good rims and hubs and build 'em up.)

    Cheers

    Danny B
    Its hard to find a bike in my price point with Rockshox Recon Silver 2011-2012 they are all part of the 2013 line and LBS don't get them instock.

    have any suggestions? Something with a Decent Rockshox and Hydro brakes?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55
    Not a great deal of help for you but this is the sort of thing I have in mind:

    Rockrider 8.1 2012 Mountain Bike, Grey B'TWIN - All Bikes - On sale at Decathlon.co.uk

    Its a UK store but if they can do a bike like this for the equivalent of $850ish then there must be a US firm that can.

    OK its not a 29er but the spec is pretty much bang on for the money. You could almost strip it down and get more for the parts on ebay!

    Cheers

    Danny B

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    If only that was a 29er! Specs are perfect. I was looking at Motobecane but then again they are only USA...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    Recon Silver would be mint, but I think you'd be looking at $1000+ for bikes with that spec. Sporting Life in Toronto has a Canondale spec'd with one at $1000: Cannondale, Trail Sl 29'Er 2 Trail Bike [2012] - SportingLife Onl

    You might be able to find a slightly better deal than that though.

    Just make sure it fits well. Different brands have slightly different angles and lengths to the frame tubes, which can make a significant difference to ride feel. Some shortcomings can be compensated for by swapping out the stem,etc., but if you feel really stretched out or if there isn't enough standover, you won't be happy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55
    TBH I was looking at a 29er and saw this and nearly bought it - the spec's are that good that I would have forgone the larger wheels (I'm 6' 2" BTW 220lbs so a 29er would suit pretty good).

    In the end I got a spanking deal on a Genesis Latitude and again this was a 26er so went with that.

    Unless you have a very specific reason for wanting a 29er don't rule out the 26". Been around for years and people did pretty good on it!

    Cheers

    Danny B

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    That would be perfect! too bad out of stock thanks though. The trails I use to ride on are very rocky! thats why I want to get a 29er.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swl7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    200

    Help me pick which Hardtail 29er

    I have an airborne guardian at the moment as my first mtb. I don't have to worry about expensive parts breaking or anything and its a very decent bike.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118

    Help me pick which Hardtail 29er

    Quote Originally Posted by dRyk View Post
    That would be perfect! too bad out of stock thanks though. The trails I use to ride on are very rocky! thats why I want to get a 29er.
    You can probably find the same deal elsewhere if you like the canondale. Dukes in TO has it for $1100, but check out other canondale dealers. There's a good chance there are similarly spec'd bikes from other manufacturers at the same price point as well.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    I have an airborne guardian at the moment as my first mtb. I don't have to worry about expensive parts breaking or anything and its a very decent bike.
    Can't get Airborne Guardian's in Canada without paying a ton on Shipping and Duties. Thanks tho! very cool bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    You can probably find the same deal elsewhere if you like the canondale. Dukes in TO has it for $1100, but check out other canondale dealers. There's a good chance there are similarly spec'd bikes from other manufacturers at the same price point as well.
    I will look around! thanks

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    Saw Ghost bikes at toronto bike show. Look sweet. German engineered and my understanding is that although manufactured in Europe they are half the price here compared to there. Right on.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    I will check them out ^

    Trek X caliber 19" 2011

    Might be-able to get price lowered? Good deal?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,138
    Originally 1500 list and bike blue book values it at 797. I like the dual air Reba and the geo.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,245
    what about bikesdirect shipping to Canada?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Originally 1500 list and bike blue book values it at 797. I like the dual air Reba and the geo.
    Oh Thanks for telling me about that website!

    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    what about bikesdirect shipping to Canada?
    Shipping and Duties is the killer and do they ship to Canada?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GOTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by dRyk View Post
    I will check them out ^

    Trek X caliber 19" 2011

    Might be-able to get price lowered? Good deal?
    The X-Caliber is a great bike. It's much better than the others you mentioned in the thread. If you can get the price down and it's the right size it's worth taking a look at.
    He who dares....wins!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    I no I was looking for a 29er Hardtail, But I found this!
    2009 Jamis Dakar XCR Expert Mountain Bike
    He will put price to 900 and I think will delivery.

    I really liked the Trek but their is no way for me to get to him nor him come to me.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    At 5'9" 1/2, the 19" frame might be a bit big for you. Fit differs from bike-to-bike of course, but I'm 6'0" and normally ride a 19".

    Not familiar enough with the bike itself to comment on it, but the component group seems nice

    Quote Originally Posted by dRyk View Post
    I no I was looking for a 29er Hardtail, But I found this!
    2009 Jamis Dakar XCR Expert Mountain Bike
    He will put price to 900 and I think will delivery.

    I really liked the Trek but their is no way for me to get to him nor him come to me.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    29
    Jamis bikes are sold at Sportchek so I will go check out the sizes their.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
  2. Help me pick a hardtail!
    By stanton3 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
  3. Help me pick my first 29er please.
    By thehotrodpig in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
  4. Steel hardtail? Help me pick a new bike!
    By c-lion in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM
  5. Entry Level Hardtail 29er... What would you pick? Under $500
    By phiberoptik in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •