1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Help me with pedals and shoes!

My bike came with some crank brothers candy pedals and I'm not sure I like them. I bought some Shimano M087s and I love the shoes but I don't think clip less on a mountain bike is for me yet so I was thinking of using these shoes with the road bike. I have a 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8 and I was wondering whats a good shoe/pedal combo for flats? I saw a lot of good things about the 5.10 Impacts/Karvers. Any other good shoes and what are some good flats?

I have large feet. I wear a size 15 or 16 depending on the shoe and those candy pedals are tiny. My feet hurt after a while and I want to feel more pedal to foot contact. I feel like my feet are to big and clip less makes me really nervous over rocks/roots and near steep inclines. Ive crashed well over 10 times or more and I don't find crashing to terribly fun though some of you say I'm not having fun unless I have a spill.

I just feel that for now, I would have more confidence in being able to move my feet.

Can you all help me out?

Professional Speed Bump
    Wellgo B67 ($40 avg.)

The platforms are slightly concave so when you step in, they give a little extra grab to your soles.

I wear some cheap skateboard shoes and they work well...but I'm sure 5.10's and 661 shoes probably work better...probably.

mtbr member
    I literally ust purchased the Wellgo MG-1. They pretty much look like the B67's, just a little different. Have replaceable pins as well. They come in a few different colors as well. (White, Red, Black, Silver, Yellow, Purple) Not just Black and Titanium like the B67's do.

You can also find the MG-1 on ebay for around $40. That is if of course you buy from someone in the States. I know the seller abaxo has all the colors except White. I bought from bikewagon, he had white. Only has 2 left of the white ones.

Heard about the MG-1's here, had some good reviews too. Both of the sellers I mentioned have also been mentioned on here as well, for good people to use.

Oh sorry meant to say the MG-1's are Platforms. (At least I think that is what they call them...lol)

(Click on the seller names to go straight to their ebay store)
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    +1 on the MG-1's with some skater shoes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dworley505 View Post
    +1 on the MG-1's with some skater shoes.
    I am hearing skater shoes a lot. I use some Under Armour shoes. Wonder if I should try some skaters? Maybe in due time, I will have to find something that fits good, and I like!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i've used both regular tennis shoes and also the skater shoes. with the skater shoes you get more foot on the petal because of the wider, flatter sole IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What are some skater shoes? Any particular ones?

mtbr member
    Another vote for MG1. Also Atomlabs, staitline's, ect.
    Skate shoes work well but so do basketball shoes or any sneaker that has that type of flat rubber bottom. Unlike a running or tennis shoe that has a valley between the front and back. I have 5.10 and also use adidias basketball low tops that work great.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brittonal View Post
    What are some skater shoes? Any particular ones?
    DC Shoes, Vans, etc..... Called Skater Shoes becasue it is typically what Skateboarders wear. Hence Skater Shoes.

They all pretty much look the same, just matters more what you like and how they fit. Just like any other shoe you buy. The recommendation for them comes from exactly what dworley505 said. Flat on bottom and are typically a little wider then normal shoes. So you get more surface area contacting the pedal.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Purple Power

I'm lovin' my 5.10 Freeriders in Galactic Purple with my flat pedals. My feet never budge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With these platforms with the spikes and combo with shoes, do you have to lift your foot up to move it around or to change its position?

mtbr member
    Yes, That's why I mostly chose to wear my adidas basketball shoes. My 5.10's IMO grip too well for my liking sometimes. You can also change the length of the pins on most pedals.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

Fat-tired Roadie
    I highly recommend shin guards for riding with flat pedals.

You can always stop wearing them if you disagree with me after a ride.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes, you do have to lift your foot up a bit to fine tune your placement. However, I consider this totally worth it, because it beats the heck out of having your foot fly off of the pedal when you're flying over bumpy crap at a high rate of speed . . . Then again, I ride a rigid SS, so little bumps have bigger consequences.

If your pedals are constantly whacking you in the shins, does this mean that your weight is too far forward and you aren't keeping your pedals sufficiently weighted?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

pedals

i wear 5.10 lo impacts and 661 veggie shin guards. my pedals are sun ringle zuzu's.

mtbr member
    Platforms and Five Ten shoes all the way