1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Help me NOT geek out - Giant demo/ride day at my favorite trail

I will go Wednesday night and see/ride/try as many bikes as I can. How can I do this and not spend a lot of money????
    I bought my first mountain bike in January - a Giant Revel 0. Functionally a solid bike that I have no issues with, though it is a tad heavy .
    I have no delusions of becoming a world class racer, or a racer at all. I just like to ride and get my heart pumping.
    Would a 'better' bike help me enjoy the trails more? I'm guessing not but I know I will geek out when I ride the 'better' bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    I will go Wednesday night and see/ride/try as many bikes as I can. How can I do this and not spend a lot of money????
    I bought my first mountain bike in January - a Giant Revel 0. Functionally a solid bike that I have no issues with, though it is a tad heavy .
    I have no delusions of becoming a world class racer, or a racer at all. I just like to ride and get my heart pumping.
    Would a 'better' bike help me enjoy the trails more? I'm guessing not but I know I will geek out when I ride the 'better' bikes.
    Bring a friend with you (not bike enthusiastic) and ask him to punch you in the face every time you try to get your wallet out, works trust me!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    Bring a friend with you (not bike enthusiastic) and ask him to punch you in the face every time you try to get your wallet out, works trust me!!
    Excellent idea!