1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Help me on my first long ride

I'm riding in a 150k two day charity ride on 29 Sept. and its all road.
    I get my Trek Cobia this week and I'm having it set up with 700x32 hybrid tires just for this ride. Between now and then I'm in training mode since I haven't been on a bike in 10 years. My son who rides as a messenger convinced me to do this with him.
    After this ride I will put some normal tires on and start actual trail riding.
    This is what I have so far.

-Bike computer with HR monitor for training
    -Bontrager helmet
    -upgraded grips with wrist support
    -Shimano m647 pedals
    -Bontrager multisport ssr shoes
    -Pearl Izumi quest shorts
    -Izumi cool arm sleeves
    -under seat tool kit with spare tube

Is there anything else you would recommend that will help me make this long ride?
    Can you recommend any food or energy products for the ride? Should I go camel back or bottle?
    Are there any handlebar add ons that will give me position options during the ride?

This ride will have rest areas every 15 miles or so and they'll have maintenance teams cruising to assist with any failures. Food, snacks, and drinks are provided.

Sent via mental telepathy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    New to mountain biking but I've ridden road for years. Assuming you have a suspension fork, I would switch to a rigid if possible. You won't need the suspension on the road and it'll just suck energy out of you.

As far as food, there's no need to get super fancy. Find something with carbs that you still enjoy eating even when you're hot and tired. Fig newtons have a good reputation if you like those. I do like Shot Bloks for a constant energy source. Whatever you try, use it while training. Half way through a full day's ride is not when you want to find out that your body doesn't respond well to your food/drink of choice. Eat a small amount constantly and drink often.

I'd go 2 water bottle cages over a hydration system, helps keep your back cooler. Also, bring a bike pump if it's not already in your tool kit.

Last, you don't need to train with a HR monitor for this ride. If you had longer, maybe, but charity rides are generally rolling parties. If you really haven't ridden in 10 years, the best thing you can do is just ride a little bit everyday and try and throw in a longish ride at least once a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maski View Post
    I'd go 2 water bottle cages over a hydration system, helps keep your back cooler. Also, bring a bike pump if it's not already in your tool kit.
    I second this... Especially considering there are frequent rest areas to refill.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

local trails rider
    Take some longer rides before, to find out if your backside, back, and hands will be happy.

Old fashioned bar-ends could be a way to vary hand position.

Riding on the road, with a straight bar, I often rest the heels of my hands on the bar and keep my fingers relaxed, not gripping anything. I won't do that over any bumps or if I suspect I might need to brake.

Your distance isn't all that big. Just pace yourself so that you can keep going.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you can afford it, $300 road bike. Something that was reasonably nice in the mid-'90s and fits you well.

There are indeed handlebar add-ons. They're called "bar ends." I have 'em on my MTB. They do help with riding on the road. Some alternative handlebars put a set of bar ends inboard of the grips. I haven't tried this, but it's supposed to be a pretty good position for road. You might even be able to do aero extensions, but IMHO, a mountain bike with aero extensions is an abomination.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx