Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me with my balance please -__-

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  96p993 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So I've been doing a lot of mtb lately, but there is one thing that I just can't get the hang of, and thats things like logs and narrow obstacles and even narrow trails. I need somebody's expertise on riding them.
For some reason, when I am riding something narrow (I try to practice on curbs) and straight, I'll only be able to do a meter or two, after that I just can't keep my balance and I'm forced to hop off. It's either that I jerk the handlebars to one side or I simply feel like I'm going to topple over.

Is there some kind of technique like sitting vs standing, or how quickly to pedal (high or low gear), steering with the handle bars vs leaning with my body, sticking out my knees for balance, or where I'm supposed to be looking?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I also have trouble holding a consistent line. I shy away from skinnies. I think it's more about confidence than any specific technique. I do find that when I'm in the "zone" and riding without thinking too much, I do better at it - just keep my head up, look ahead and go.

#12 ·
Keep your focus a few meters ahead of the bike.
I think that this is the best piece of advice given yet. As you get better, you won't even think about it anymore as it will be second nature to you. Before you know it, you'll be balancing without even rolling forward.

Reactions: pfox90
#5 ·
I agree with everybody so far :)

I find it easy to stay on a skinny trail when straying off has no consequences. Add the danger of getting hurt, and things become harder.

#6 ·
Same here, we have some sections of singletrack less than 12" wide surrounded by poison ivy and I can ride all day long without ever straying into any ivy. Throw a 24" wide bridge into the mix and I feel like a drunk 5 year old trying to ride across.

One very experienced rider spent 3 months in the hospital after falling off that particular bridge. Not a huge drop off side of bridge but 6-7' is nothing to laugh at.. I'll do short skinny crossings but if it's over 8-10ft across I just don't feel comfy. In most cases if you've been riding a while it's just a matter of not over thinking the crossing.

#7 ·
I got into trials riding for the same issues you guys are talking about. I ended up liking it so much that I bought a dedicated bike for it. The basic skills can be practiced on any bike, and what you gain on the trail is immense. Read the following link, then go to the home page and start your new outlook on riding!
http://trials-online.com/?page_id=37

Good luck!

#9 ·
Do you do any slow-drills? They make a great warm up, for me anyway. Find an open area near your trailhead (that is not in traffic's way), ride as slowly as you can in a straight line, and ride smoothly - try to avoid the herky-jerky, but you will have some of that at first. You'll find that you will start making adjustments with your body position to help the bike stay upright, which will translate into an increased ability to balance on a trail or narrow track.

When that becomes "easy".. find some small obstacles to do slow drills on, whether it is an uneven terrain, or short stumps - whatever is in your area. For slow drills on obstacles, you typically want to go a little faster than a "normal" slow drill.. but it should be slow-speed enough that you feel the work being done by both you and your bike.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for the replies guys!
I just came back from practicing, and I find that if I look ahead, It helps a TON.
However I find that If I try to get off the seat to ride skinnys, I end up pushing down to hard on the pedals and it causes me to turn, so I think for me it's better that I sit for now.
And yeah I try to do slow drills, I actually find them fun :thumbsup: I also try to come to a complete stop and see how long I can keep my balance on the bike.

I think that the most important thing for me is just to look ahead and not over think it, as most of you said. :)

EDIT: I just came in from another quick spin, and realized that standing actually makes it easier as well, contrary to what I just posted. Standing allows me to use my body more to control my balance and keeps me looking ahead.

#14 ·
i havent had the chance for any skinny trail obstacles yet.. but to help with my balence i practice while doing my daily rides on the road.. regardless if im going uphill/downhill or pedaling standing or sitting/coasting i try to keep my tires on the white line on the side of the road which is about 4-5" wide... and something ive seen on youtube for these same obstacles is like somewhat else said get your self a 10ft long plank of 2x6".. shouldnt cost but a few dollars and lay it in the front/backyard and practice just riding/pedaling/ coasting etc over it while staying on boart after you have relative ease with that put some blocks under it and ride 6"-1ft off the ground...

and just like driving a car ride/lead with your eyes pointing where you want to go.... do not focus right infront of your cars bumper or your bikes front tire... your instincts will keep you on track.. stay focused on where you want to end up and what is coming up ahead of you

#15 ·
As you mentioned, keeping your eyes down the trail is the best advice. It's good advice for all riding too, looking ahead will make you a better rider all around.

Something I did to get better at skinnies was to ride everything like it was a bridge. Whenever I saw a line in a parking lot, a crack in the pavement, a curb or step, I rode it like I would fall off of it. Just keep riding things and you'll get better. I find that curbs can be really good practice especially if they have a nice gentle ride up for learning. Eventually you'll get comfortable with straight curbs and be able to try curving curbs.

#16 ·
Like others have mentioned, it's about looking where you want to go, not where you don't. It's like sliding a rail or throwing spins on skis. Always spot your landing and focus on it. And I've found biking is very much a mental game. If you visualize yourself clearing the obstacle with no problem before right before you get to it and keep that mental picture, it will definitely help.

#17 ·
One thing I found extremely helpful with my balance and overall riding abilities was starting a core training program. I found that using a strength ball in my workout routine has given me much better control of my bike in low speed drills and maneuvers requiring balance.

#18 ·
Oh
My
Goodness

"look where you want to go" is probably the best and most effective advice I've ever gotten for anything. I found that 'sweet spot' of where I should be looking ahead, and WOW! I can ride curbs that are 5-6" wide, Something I was NEVER able to do before.

Thanks to all of the other advice too, it all helped a bunch for me to find my style :)

#30 ·
"look where you want to go" is probably the best and most effective advice I've ever gotten for anything.
I, for one, forgot that some might not already know about it.

One of our trails has had a slight reroute:

There's a small fallen tree somewhere out there. If I remember, I'll take the folding saw with me next time, to remove the branch that kept me from riding over the tree trunk.

#19 ·
If you have a video camera or even a phone with camera, hve a buddy film you when you try new skills. The difference between what you think you look like you're doing and what you're actually doing is immense. Being able to actually see your technique from another POV will help you out so much. I played tennis in high school and our coach would tape us hitting certain shots and it took me from just hoping to getting the ball inbounds to having a very effective serve. If I had someone to ride with, I would have them film me riding so I would be able to progress even quicker

#24 ·
LOL. I'm on vacation, and meeting a friend in a couple hours to crank out some road miles. Meeting another friend tomorrow to ride off-road. We're going to be very old-school - she's on a rigid Fisher, and I'm on my 'cross bike until I get some new valve cores. Which I'm kicking myself for ordering from my LBS instead of phoning around for another one locally... I often ride with teammates.

I'd say the majority of my saddle time is still solo, just because it's a pain to coordinate sometimes. But I'm on the internet a lot because I'm obsessive, and it's a mental break when I'm doing engineering homework. ;)

#26 ·
agreed with above posters. at least when i'm riding my road bike, i try to look ahead and not pay attention on following a narrow path. at first, it's uncomfortable and unnerving at times, but you'll get the hang of it very soon.

try riding on an empty street with bike lanes and follow the paint mark. that helped me a lot.

#27 ·
Looking ahead as everyone says is the major key.

Reducing fear is also important. I had a scary crash (not on a skinny) that shattered my confidence a couple of days ago and on the following ride, I was missing skinnies that I usually make because I was scared and haven't got my confidence back yet.

Another thing that sometimes helps me is to feather the brakes a little so I'm pedaling against a little resistance. I only do this on really, really long skinnies that have turns.

#28 ·
Next to core exercise a slack line is a great balance cross trainer, cheap too. Don't bother with the pre-made ones, just pick up whatever length of 2 inch webbing you need and tension it on one end with a truck tie down ratchet. Getting on the bike immediately after practicing the slack line you'll feel very centered and in control, it really works.

#29 ·
One of the reasons looking ahead is key is because your corrections will be less severe and you'll reduce the need to keep correcting because of previous over-correcting. It's the same reason that drunks weave back and forth in a lane. It's because they are looking at the road right in front of their car since they can't see much further due to their temporary impairment.

Also, make sure to look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. You will generally steer toward where you are looking. This is known as 'target fixation':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_fixation

#32 ·
If you want to practice this at home (I have to drive to my trails)...ride the curbs around your house. Getting used to holding your line is important and riding curbs will help you do this all day. Once you get used to the line, go faster, look elsewhere...I promise a little time on the curb will have your holding your line (slow and fast) quite well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.