1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Help me figure out if this is a good bike

I just received a used 2003 Magna Cantil Model number 8575-41 . I have been looking for this bike online, but cant find it. Do you have any information? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm not really familar with that bike but I know Magnas are department store bikes. And this means it is a mass produced, cheap bike. Not really a good bike to be totally honest.

If you want a quality, trail worthy mountain bike. Go to you local bike shop and plan on spending at least $500 or so. In the mean time, take your Magna and put it on Craigslist and get whatever you can.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    I'm not really familar with that bike but I know Magnas are department store bikes. And this means it is a mass produced, cheap bike. Not really a good bike to be totally honest.

If you want a quality, trail worthy mountain bike. Go to you local bike shop and plan on spending at least $500 or so. In the mean time, take your Magna and put it on Craigslist and get whatever you can.
    Doesn't always have to be 500$. Depends on what he wants to do.

mtbr member
    yea i agree

mtbr member
    Magna is currently a dept. store bike. A bike is a pile of parts. What brands/models of parts are on your Magna? Shifters, derailleurs, brakes.

What are you using it for? Getting in shape? Commuting? DH racing?

Call and ask them:
    http://www.magnabikes.com/owners.htm
    Arron
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    Not the sturdiest of bikes despite it's weight, but for commuting, it should get you around fine. Just make sure your seat is up high enough, and don't expect it to take much of a beating.

Their "Excitor" model comes with a "cushion frame". Nice.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Magna is just one of the names that Dynacraft builds bikes under (Rallye, Malibu, Rhino, Next, etc). Most of Toys R Us's bikes are made by Dynacraft, including those sweet little princess bikes with the streamers and baskets. I assemble a lot of them, basically just toy bikes. Prob alright to cruise around town on, but don't take it on anything tougher than a gravel road and don't sink any money into it. And check to make sure all of the bolts are tight, a lot of assemblers slack on the torque.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius