1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here. Help me on deciding my first entry level MTB!

Hi all!

I have been lurking around for a while now and finally decided it's time to get active. I have always wanted to try MTBking since I was a kid. I just never have ridden on trail before.

I need your help on deciding my first entry level MTB. Based on the sizing chart on Target my frame size is 17 to 19" (5'11", 30" inseam). Like I said earlier, I just want to get active but not going crazy fast. I know there is always a better bike out there but I don't want to spend like $1K on my first bike.

So I have narrow down to the following based on my limited knowledge and research. Please feel free to give me some pointers.

Forge Sawback 5xx 19" $399.99
    Forge Men's Sawback Hard Trail 5xx 19" Mountain ... : Target

Airborne Skyhawk $349.99
    Airborne Bicycles. Skyhawk

Specialized Rockhopper Pro 26in Wheels/19in Frame $450 CL
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 26in Wheels/19in Frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Skyhawk. I bought one a few weeks ago, love it. I'm your size, 18" fits perfect.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    +1 for the skyhawk. It's a lot of bike for a bargain price.
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    This bike as a 29er option. Fork is upgradeable down the road for 175 from Nick at Suntour.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for your input! It seems like the Skyhawk is quite popular and it looks quite nice. I checked on their website and the bike will ship without pedal. Why is that the case? Now I have to find myself some pedals...... Can't they just throw some cheap/regular pedal in as that I can enjoy the bike now and upgrade later?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Forte platform pedals from Performance Bikes are good value, weight and thickness. You can ride with trailrunners with the low heels technique on trails.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube

Rogue Exterminator
    Not that box store bikes don't have their place but the Airborne is a better bike for a better price.

The Rockhopper Pro would be a good choice for a first bike if the price was even in the ballpark of being reasonable. However, that seller has it price about $150-$200 too high.
    That is an '04 and BBB gives it a $284 value.

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book

Out of the 3 you posted, I would go with the Airborne.

Now that being said, there is also a value with buying a bike from a LBS especially your first bike. Sure, you are going to spend a little more but they will help you pick the right bike, put it together right and usually give you at least 1 free tune up after break in.

The build and tune up are about $100 value alone and the service they provide can be priceless.

Personally I would stay out big box stores like Walmart and Target (nobody get on the defensive, I said personally). Check out some of the locally owned shops. Also check out REI. I have bought 2 bikes from them and have been very pleased. You can't go wrong with their lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you guys! I checked the Airborne website and now the 18" is out of stock. Do you guys think I can fit on a 19" fine (the next frame size up)?

Rogue Exterminator
    I am 5'11"
    One of my bikes is a 19" and the other is a 20"
    (Both 29ers)

The 19" bits me great.
    The 20" was a hair big but I fixed the issues with a shorter stem.

Hope that helps.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.