1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Help me decide

mtbr member

Help me decide

I did a post about this on another thread but I figured I start my very own "help a rookie buy a bike" thread - You guys do probably get sick of it, but I want to do things right and you guys have so much experience I've spent a lot of time on this site just learning. There is some subjective advise but I sure can use any feedback.

My friend is selling his Cannondale VT 500(0?) (2005) for $500.00 - I did my first ever ride yesterday and I couldn't stop talking about the experience, with that being said and sadly my low budget, I was also looking @ BD Motobecane 450 HT for $319.00 then off to the LBS to get it installed which will be about $100.00 or so? He has been doing this for 8yrs so I trust his experience but I would like a 2nd opinion from the xperts in this forum before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    you can put the bike together yourself... its not hard. they even send you videos on how to do it. you really just put the handlebars on, and some minor adjustments. everything you need to do is on google, and if you learn how, you'll be in a much better position in the future. you will eventually have to learn how to put a bike together, so the earlier the better. i don't envy the people who buy online and waste the money having it built for them, because they lose out on all the knowledge they could have gained doing it themselves, and the money. but yeah, the 450's a great deal. probably the best deal online right now. i recommended 2 of my friends to get one.

mtbr member
    Thanks ou2mame - I just think new is better, and learning the mechanics has to be a plus! and most likely a must