1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Help me choose a fork.

Hey whats up guys. So my friend gave me his old specialized fsr enduro mountain bike just because he wants me to go ridding with him. He took me to some trails and i
    Really enjoyed it. While i was ridding i noticed that the fork was really squishy and it was hard for me to go up the hill because it felt like i was digging into the ground . I was thinking that it might be the fork since its an old rock shox judy. I tried adjusting the rebound but it still feels the same. Can you guys help me choose a new/used fork for around 100 dollars. Or do you guys think im better off just rebuilding the fork for that price.. Im new to mountain biking but i really enjoy it please help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Need to know how old. The early Judy's were 1" steerers ,if that true you will have a hard time finding a replacement. There are some replacement parts out there.Check ebay,craig's list for used forks. A local shop might have a take off that would work.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'm not familiar with that fork...does it have lockout? Also, for only $100, you'd be better off rebuilding a fork, or saving up for a good fork. You can also scour eBay and CL...but get ready to part with ~$300 for a decent fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    try the rock shox dart 2 that locks out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for the replies. The size is 1 1/8. And no it dosebt have lock out . Yeah i need something that locksout

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Best bet would be Ebay...
    If you knew if you needed a tapered head or straight it would probably be better to know so that you also do not waste time on finding a fork that would fit your bike within your budget.

My little friends
    Actually, you don't really "need" a lockout. A decent quality air fork and a bit more experience on the climbs will overcome the pedal induced bobbing you get on the fork. Smooth pedaling, rather than just mashing, helps keep the wasted energy to a minimum.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Judy was available in a few different springs at different times. Also, the rebound damper's not really the right adjustment to stiffen up the fork's response to rider input.

IIRC, it's been a coil, an air, and an elastomer fork at different times. Can you post a picture of the fork crown? Take one of the front end of the bike too. This could be as simple as learning to tune the fork you've already got.

IMO, no worthwhile suspension forks retail for $100. However, if your fork is damaged or no longer has available maintenance parts, you might find something on EBay.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Look for a Rockshox Tora U-turn fork.

It's probably the best budget entry level fork at about $200. Anything less than that really isn't worth your time IMHO.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a 2000-2002 Specialized. You have plenty of options, but I wouldn't overdue it. I agree with the above and Tora is a nice way to go. I see some on Ebay for $150. Even an old RS Recon would work nicely. If you're not running disc brakes, then you may want to make sure the fork has v brake post mounts.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Great advice all around. I have nothing to add. Hate it when that happens.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    +1 on the rock shox recon! I just picked one up and i love it. Great fork. Heres the thread if you care to look
    Fellow newbs, it can be done! DIY fork install upgrade

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This the fork it is a rock shox judy xc the steerer tube messures 7 1/2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me choose a fork.-mtb-tire.jpg  

Help me choose a fork.-mtb-fork-1.jpg  

Help me choose a fork.-mtb-.jpg  

Fat-tired Roadie
    A shiny new fork will at least fit on your bike. You need to decide what to do about brakes. Travel is probably about 100 mm, steer tube needs to be straight gauge.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx