1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Help me with buying cranks

What kind of cranks can I get with this bottom bracket? The bb is a xtr bb91. I need to know what size etc. I don't own the bottom bracket yet but I might get a frame with it on there.

turtles make me hot
    Don't Shimano cranksets fit in those?

What do you have now?
    I like turtles

Fat-tired Roadie
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Bottom brackets are relatively inexpensive, disposable parts. You get one to match the frame and crank you want.

That said, I don't think I'm familiar with that model of bottom bracket. There's been an explosion of standards lately, and not everything is cross-compatible. It sounds like cracks for outboard bottom brackets, with a 24 mm spindle, will fit that. Shimano's own cranks would be a native fit, and probably the most straightforward install, but other companies do 24 mm spindles too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

EDR

Re: Help me with buying cranks

Cranksets are generally sold with a bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Shimano Hollowtech, most of the recent RaceFace and any other hollowtech compatible cranks. The same frame with a SRAM BB will fit SRAM GXP cranks.