1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Help me be a better human :) (on a bike)

I am brand new to this. I havent ridden a bike since I was 16. Im 35 now. I was a highschool football star. I was in the Army as a paratrooper. I am athletic. I am also now a fat bastard though a good natured one.

Running is no longer my thing. I hike. I lift. I have lost 80lbs over the last 2 years. I want to do something physical and exciting and new to continue to get in shape (it helps in the decision that theres an awesome lake just minutes from my house that i hike where i see ppl biking alot). After looking around for a few weeks, mountain biking looks like a blast.

The kicker is I have absolutely no knowledge at all about bikes. I am 6' and 300 lbs. I went to a bike shop today and got measured. in Giant i am a L, and in inches i am 18.5 - 20 for a bike size.

so I need help with a decent bike in the $600.00-$800.00 range that is made for a fat bastard like me. I dont want to trash a bike because i got something for a skinny man.

SO I am asking for your help. what bike should i get in my price range to not have to be afraid of wrecking and destroying my investment?

Also whats a good brand of bike shorts for guys like me? none of the shorts at the bike shop fit me. XXL was close but couldnt get over my hips. are there plus size bike outfitters?

Thanks in advance for your help! I am excited to start this new chapter and i plan to be involved in this website to help inspire myself and others who are looking to get back in shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was looking at this. I saw IBEX mentioned quite frequently on these forums. but i have no idea if this bike is something that I would crush or not

http://www.ibexbikes.com/products/in...?product_key=1

mtbr member
    Welcome to a healthy lifestyle. There are "stickies" - collections of good information at the top of each area such as "NOOBS!...read this." - that are worth reading. There is also a lot of discussion on this topic. I'll let other people chime in on what bikes would be good for you, but if renting is an option, you may want to try some different types of bikes. If you tell us where you live/bike it will help us focus in on bike types...full suspension, 29er, hardtail, etc. As for shorts, you may want to buy padded underwear over which you can wear shorts of your choice.

mtbr member
    Welcome: There is also a wealth of info for you in the Clydesdale/Tail rider forum. FYI Clydesdale is the biking term for how you describe your self.

Hi There!
    Indeed, welcome. My input is: don't get frustrated, ride within your limits and even then prepare to wreck some, stay hydrated. You will see progress every time you go and that plus how much fun it is are big payoffs.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys. I am gonna check out Clydesdale/Trail rider now to see what kind of bikes the big guys ride. I appreciate the info guys.

My little friends
    Pick up a bike computer to help measure your progress, especially if you will be riding the same trails alot. It will record the elapsed time, average speed and depending on the model, max speed. It's nice to get instant gratification after a ride by seeing how many minutes you shaved off that ride, or what new max speed you hit on that downhill section as you improve. It does add to the fun!

mtbr member
    Speaking of bike computers, if you have a smartphone you can download programs like "runtastic" for free and they'll do 90% of what a bike computer will do for you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Mountain biking is excellent indeed! Welcome, I too got into this for much the same reasons you did. I was a Marine, and can relate to fat bastard-Dom. 6'3" 270 now... I started with and still have a trek marlin. I do on road, single track, and fire trails. The only thing I needed to change out on that bike was the fork and pedals. If you can swing a trek mamba at a grand, do it. Once I upgraded the fork I had about that much in my marlin anyway. I should add I'm my own bike mechanic, so I maintain wheels, etc. myself.. My wheels and hubs have held up great, and I have 1400 miles on it to date. Unless you get big air crazy (I wheelie and small jumps, nothing crazy), a marlin or mamba will suit you fine- it has me. Marlin is $670, mamba a grand.

Happy Trails

Help me be a better human :) (on a bike)

Tell this exact same thing to your LBS and they will hook you up with good advice.

And one more thing....

Hooah.