1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Help me a beginner buy a new MTB:)

hi guys am new to this forum and new in mountainbiking world. am planning to buy my new bike. just an entry level one. my budget is 400-600 dollars. am looking at these two:

DB overdrive sport ($430 after 20% more discount)
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_565120_-1

Airborne Guardian 2.0 ($600; they said all their bikes on sale but apparently this model is not)
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

what would you guys recommend that i should buy that i will get the best bang for my buck? is the airborne worth the $150+ more?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork on the Overdrive doesn't have rebound damping. Pogo stick over multiple bumps at speed. More of a bike path setup.
    Suntour 'X' forks with hydraulic lockout have rebound damping.
    This bike has an air fork with rebound damping.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29 2014

Captain Climber
    Airborne!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The fork on the Overdrive doesn't have rebound damping. Pogo stick over multiple bumps at speed. More of a bike path setup.
    Suntour 'X' forks with hydraulic lockout have rebound damping.
    This bike has an air fork with rebound damping.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29 2014
    you mean the fork in the Overdrive has coil while the Marin has air?

what would you recommend between the marin and airborne>?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Airborne!
    kinda leaning on this one now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by qohelet View Post
    you mean the fork in the Overdrive has coil while the Marin has air?

what would you recommend between the marin and airborne>?
    If you look on the Suntour site at the exploded view of the XCR fork on the DB it is a coil spring. But some versions add a sealed oil damper unit in the other leg for a hydraulic lockout and fixed or adjustable rebound damper.
    The fork on the Marin uses an air system to set the sag instead of a spring. I would go Marin over the Guardian. The Seeker has a better fork than the Marin and would be my recommendation from Airborne. You may find other good deals out there right now. Check shops with the position of not asking what they will take but offering cash of the dollar amount that is 35% off list for a 2014 bike. Zero in on the fork, it is the most performance defining part of a bike at this level of price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In this price range, Airborne and other mail-order stuff wins on value (but you really have to know what you're doing or get some solid advice to size it).

I'd argue that the Guardian isn't $150 better - in this price range, with the spec of components better, it's about $250 better at only a $150 price increase. Up until about $1000, the more you spend, you get proportionally more (complete better groupsets, forks, cockpit parts, rims/wheel builds, as well as tires), so absolutely the Guardian is better between the two, and if you're capped at around a $600 budget it is hands down the best choice you can get unless a local shop has an X-Cal or something similar on sale that's specced close to the Guardian.

Stephen
    Find a bike shop with a good reputation and trust them.

mtbr member
    For that price I would start looking secondhand. There are some bargins to be had. It is nice to get a new bike but at the end of the day after you have used it your left with a used bike with cheap unreliable parts, if you buy secondhand you would still end up with a used bike but with some better quality components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    i decided to buy the marin bobcat. that's the least expensive mtb with air fork that i can find; and it's close to my budget.

thanks for all the help guys. now am excited.hehe

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's actually some really quality spec on there (Acera drivetrain and basically Acera Hydro brakes - good find).