1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Help identify noise

So, this week my bike started making a noise only while on power stroke left and right. It sounds like a conveyor belt or like the pully that pulls a roller coaster up. I checked my cranks and chaing ring bolts. My derailleurs are adjusted properly. My chain is not rubbing the front derailleur. My bike is new (200miles). Sounds like its coming from the rear cassette/derailleur area. Driving me nuts. Just started riding. Pretty good with anything mechanical (aerospace machinist), but this is something I dont want to chase unnecessarily. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is it only in certain gears? If so, which?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It does it when I'm mashing in any of the taller ratios. So, middle and top front gears paired with any of the smaller gears rear. It's not cross chain rub though. It does it middle middle as well. It's quiet and smooth until I power stroke out of the saddle or if I mash in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would check to ensure the chain is threaded through the rear derailler properly. Even if the derailler is adjusted properly left to right the chain will still rub on the wrong portion of the cage if it is threaded incorrectly. If that is the case I would guess that it would make more noise during a power stroke than when spinning on a flat easy path.

The last derailler I bought on eBay was a great deal, a used XT shadow. From the obvious wear marks the former owner had been running it with the chain threaded incorrectly, and he probably thought the thing was junk and sold it accordingly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Have you lubed your chain?

Could also be dragging on the inside of the front derailleur cage.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Chain is threaded properly and double checked the mounting bolts and the hanger bolts. Chain was cleaned and lubed. I will take another cracked at it tomorrow and have my lady record a video to capture the noise. Not sure how many forum posts I need in order to post a video link though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If it's any help, the crank set is Alivio.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Try to replicate it on a stand. Another place to look is to see if the derailleur is hitting the cassette in some gear combinations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Try to replicate it on a stand. Another place to look is to see if the derailleur is hitting the cassette in some gear combinations.
    Yeah, see if the top idler pulley on the derailleur is running really close to, or actually coming in contact with, the cassette. You might need to crank your B-tension screw in a little bit to angle it away a little more.

Derailer Adjustment

If you're strong and put a lot of power to the pedals, and depending what kind of bike you've got and how tight your tire clearance is through the rear triangle, there's a possibility you're flexing the frame enough when you mash on pedals that your real tire is rubbing against the inside of your chainstay under hard power. (If your wheel is in the frame slightly out of position, this can exacerbate the issue - make sure it's in straight.) Take a peak and see if there are any rub marks on the inside of the chainstays where the tire passes through. Not super likely this is your problem, but worth crossing it off the list. I had a really light hardtail once where the rear end would wag all over the place when you hammered on the thing and the symptoms lined up with what your describing.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I had a similar noise after fitting a new rear XT rear cassette to my hardtail.

The old cassette was silent, and it was almost new. I was just upgrading.

I had lubed everything, but with "dry" lube. I lubed the chain with some "proper" old school wet lube, and the noise disappeared.

I build my own.
    I know the bike is new(ish) but the bottom bracket may be the culprit. The first time it happened to me, I thought the noise was coming from everywhere BUT the bottom bracket. I've had them go in just a couple of months especially on entry level bikes. I once described the sound as a roller coaster reaching the top of a rise.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Can you still get free service on the bike since it's fairly new? If so..I am taking it to the shop in a New York minute. It's hard to diagnose without a video.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Try re-tightening your rear wheel skewer. I had a grinding noise coming from the rear of the bike when sprinting out of the saddle. I knew it wasn't the bottom bracket as I just dropped the bike off at the LBS for a drive-train upgrade and they tightened the BB to torque. Couple rides later the noise started and kept making noise even when gears, chain, cassette were clean and lubed. I checked my rear QR skewer and it was pretty loose. After I tightened the QR skewer up the noise disappeared!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well, I finally got time tonight to try figuring out my problem. I have tried checking most of the things mentioned besides the bottom bracket. I am gonna take it down to the lbs I purchased it at this weekend. I did notice that when I lean the bike to the left and pedal med or hard it makes the noise throughout the entire stroke 360*. But is totally silent when I lean the bike to the right and mash it as hard as I can. Still working on that video lol. Need a camara man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just made a video (more like audio only) and as soon as photo bucket loads it I will post a link. It really sounds like the chain rubbing the front derailleur in the video, but I have move the derailleur side to side and nothing changes. Same pitch/noise. And when I look at it while replicating the noise, its not touching.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What about turning your crank but not your pedals, our vice versa?

Stock pedals?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not sure what you mean. They are Shimano 530 spd pedals. Here is a lame video I just made by laying my phone on the ground. You can really hear it though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If it helps, The bike is a 2013 Fuji Nevada 1.3 29er. Nothing changed but the 530's, tires, and bars. Its not bashed or trashed. 75% commuter, 25% single track. Cleaned and lubed. Wax chain lube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I guess the audio did not help lol.

I build my own.
    I'm sticking with my answer. It wasn't the greatest audio but on your last pass to the right, I thought I heard the BB grinding.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just got back from the lbs and it was the corner of the brake pads barely rubbing the brake rotor slots. Even though it looked perfectly adjusted and didn't rub, under power and side load it was. So it was a nice cheap fix (free) and even better was finding a RaceFace Turbine stem half off in my length!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.