1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Help with hills

Bike Ninja
    May 2006

Help with hills

I'm very new to mtn biking. I used to ride road (until I destroyed my bike), and now I've gotten back into biking. Mostly I ride flat trails, but I'd really like to do more hills. My problem is that anything more than 20 ft kills me. I feel I should be able to do more since I run and bike regularly. Am I doing someting wrong or is it that I'm just not used to it? It's really frustrating!

Faller - Expert Class
    Well, just remember you are just getting back into biking, so it will take a while to get your muscles that you use for cycling the most, back up to par. Also, are you making sure you're trying to shift into an easy gear before you start your climb?

Give it time. It'll get easier!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member

cadence, effort, breathing

Focus on your cadence, effort, and breathing on long climbs and keep your eye's 20 or so feet on front of you- not the top of the climb or you'll tend to psych yourself out. Keep your cadence, effort and breathing managable and you'll settle into a comfortable pace. As you get stronger you can attack shorter climbs but long climbs are all about settling in to a rythm where you are comfortable. Often times as you climb you'll feel more comfortable as you go along and can pick up the pace a little but don't blow yourself up. Just settle in, stick with it, and before you know it you'll be at the top.

Bike Ninja
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by psinsyd
    Also, are you making sure you're trying to shift into an easy gear before you start your climb?
    Yes, I downshift... all the way to GG, but I'm still huffing and puffing... and then walking

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

There's a special satisfacion in being able to conquer longer and steeper hills whether they're single track, trail, or even paved as they all pose challenges. This steep singletrack areas that come replete with rocks and roots are the best as they pose the most challenge..

Cadence, effort and breathing are all part of good riding techniques and conditioning is essential... the climbs that used to set my legs afire a month ago aren't nearly the challenge they were. Make sure that you're keeping the engine well fuelled, don't overdo it, and allow for plenty of rest and recuperation as moving a MB up a steep hill requires a great deal more power than one needs on a road bike..

I prefer to power up hills rather than spin my way to the top although the technique depends on what kind of hill you're climbing.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Who are the brain police?

Just keep at it.

Just keep at it. No other advice neccessary.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

don't move for trees
    from what i've read you want to keep at least 70 revolution per minute going up hill. just keep at it, you'll find what works best for you
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain