1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Help with Haro flightline sport.

Hello all. I recently bought a Haro flightline sport from a lbs and I was wondering what you guys think this bike is appropriate for? For instance....if I took this bike off a decent sized dirt jump would I risk breaking anything on the bike? Also.....I am looking into slowly upgrading this bike....What parts should I replace?

mtbr member
    This bike is a great all-around cross country bike. I wouldn't use it for full-on dirt jumping, but yes, you can take it off of the normal sort of jumps you'd find on local trails. It will hold up just fine.

The reason I don't recommend it for DJ use (like in the video) is because of the geometry. It's not going to be the most maneuverable bike in the air, but if you drop the seat you could probably get by.

As far as upgrading goes, just ride it until you break something. Then replace the broken part with something a bit nicer. As you ride, and develop your style, you'll know which parts are inadequate for your type of riding.