1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Help: GT Zaskar or Giant Talon

I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted in the General forum first, but thought I might get more replies here.

Hi all. I am new to mountain biking and have been riding an old Cannondale F400 for a while now. But now I think I want to upgrade to something new. I have been looking around quite a bit and seem to have narrowed my choices down to a couple of options. First is the 2014 Giant Talon 0 27.5 that I have test rode on road for a bit and seemed to like. Second is a 2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport which is marked down to $900. Seems like GT doesn't have a lot of high praise but maybe is coming back. I didn't get to ride the GT yet, but if it feels a comfortable as the Giant I may go that route for the price alone. Here are the links to the two I am considering:

2013 Zaskar 9R Sport - XC Bikes - Mountain Bikes - GT Bicycles

Talon 27.5 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

To me it seems the GT is a much better buy at 900 than the new model Giant. If anybody has any opinions on either I would certainly like to know. My riding consists mostly road but I do mix in some not too extreme trails as well. Thanks for any and all inputs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The GT has a better fork and has a two ring crank.The Giant has better parts and a triple .What are you looking for with the new bike? Tires selection for the 27.5 is geetting better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I like the GT better for the better fork and certainly for the closeout price. I like the idea of the 27.5 wheels on the Giant better than the 29 on the GT, but Haven't had anyhting otther than 26 so I really don't know if I would be happier with either after using for a while. I am not sure what the "triple" is on the Giant and I am not familiar with a two ring crank. Does that make it better and why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What kind of trails you ride?

I had an alu Zaskar 9r pro for awhile was a good bike, GT still makes some really good frames IMO. I think the decsion really comes down to the wheels if you will be riding rooty terrain, doing technical climbs, some rocky area than the 29" wheels will be nice. As you said I think you will be happy with eithier and since it seems price is an issue maybe get the GT and save the extra dough to figure out what extra gear or minor upgrades you will want after riding it for awhile. Might be nice to have extra set of tires, new saddle, or bar/stem combo as you put more hours in the saddle.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    There's a 29er Talon, just throwing it out there.

When purchased my 29er was going with GT but ended with a Talon, why? better parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys. Is there that big of a difference in components between the two? Also, just to make things more cloudy for me, someone suggested Airborne and I like the Gaurdian 2.0 as well.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

By the time I paid shipping and pedals and tax I would still be less than the other two bikes.