1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Help. Gazelle W2 MTB 2008 or new bike

Hello everyone. I'm from Ukraine and I have some problems with choosing bike for myself. First of all it is because of my limited budget up to 600$, but for that I want to have max of what I can get here.
    When I was looking for bike in various bike shops I found, that new bike for 500-600$ has very basic parts. .
    After that I found in my city some guy who sells used bikes. And I want your advice for choosing the best for me.

1.Gazelle W2 MTB 2008

front derailleur - Shimano Deore,
    rear derailleur - Shimano Deore LX,
    Shifters - Shimano Deore
    fork - Rock Shox Dart 2 (+ Lock Out),
    Brakes - Shimano Deore V-Brake,
    bushings - Deore
    number of speeds - 27,
    Wheels - 26 "
    rim - Airline.one
    tires-Vredestein Tiger Claw XC G,
    saddle - Selle Royal.
    pedal - I drew attention to the poor quality pedals - but the seller assured me that he will replace them for free
    Price 450$

2. Giant Revel 1 Disc 2012
    front derailleur - Shimano Acera
    rear derailleur - Shimano Alivio,
    Shifters - Shimano Acera
    fork - SR Suntour XCT V4 80mm travel Lockout
    Brakes - Tektro Draco hydraulic disc
    number of speeds - 24,
    Wheels - 26 "
    rim - Giant CR70 Double Wall aluminium
    tires-Giant Sport 30TPI Wire 26x2.1"
    saddle - Giant Sport Trail
    Price 500$

3. Giant Revel 0 2012
    front derailleur - Shimano Acera
    rear derailleur - Shimano Deore,
    Shifters - Shimano Acera
    fork - SR Suntour XCM V3 100mm travel Lockout
    number of speeds - 27,
    Wheels - 26 "
    rim - Giant CR70 Double Wall aluminium
    tires-Giant Sport 30TPI Wire 26x2.1"
    saddle - Giant Sport Trail
    Price 650$

4. Mongoose Tyax Expert
    front derailleur - Suntour XCM
    rear derailleur - Sram X5
    Shifters - Sram X5 Trigger 3x9sp
    fork - Suntour XCR-LO, 100mm
    number of speeds - 27,
    Wheels - 26 "
    rim - Alex TD25, 32H
    tires-Kenda Slant Six 2.1"
    saddle Mongoose MTB Trail
    Price 550$

5. Cube Attention
    front derailleur - Deore
    rear derailleur - Deore SLX
    Shifters - Deore SL
    fork - Rock Shox XC 28 100mm
    Brakes - Shimano BR-M445 hydraulic disc
    number of speeds - 30,
    Wheels - 26 "
    rim - Alex ZX 24
    tires-Schwalbe Smart Sam, 26x2.25
    Price 1200$ Definitely I don't have such money.

I tried to make comparisons between them and new bikes in this price range are usually equipped with Shimano Alivio / Diore transmition, hydraulic brakes and fork to be replaced.
    New bike with entry-level fork, Shimano Deore/ SLX system costs 1200$.
    So I doubt whether the 4 year old bike with costly transmission would be better than new bikes given above? I had the opportunity to see and experience the Gazelle and I can say - that itis like new.
    That's why I want to ask your advice, because I don' t want to buy bad bike, but also I don't' have over 1000$ to buy good new bike. Thank you.
    Last edited by rontsse; 12-27-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    I personally would lean toward the mongoose assuming that its a new bike (alot of 2011-12 overstocks still out there). It has a comparable it not better fork the the RS dart2 and XC 28. Also a serviceable drive train and brakes (there a lot of snobs that that bag on tektro but I found that they can be setup to work good). Not being in the USA you will not have to live with the stigma of a "Walmart bike" which is IMO the reason Mongoose is no longer marketing in North America

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll take the bait on the Tektro brakes. And the fork. The Gazelle has good parts hanging off of it (not well versed in rim quality, so I can't talk about that aspect of any of these bikes), and I for one would rather deal with a Rock Shox fork than a Suntour. With the reduced price, I'd do something with the brakes...I have a hardtail that I use and abuse, and I like the simplicity of mechanical brakes. That said, you sound like you want the hydro brakes, so you can leave them alone or upgrade them out of the "entry level" range.

Are you replacing the fork regardless of the bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    I'll take the bait on the Tektro brakes. And the fork. The Gazelle has good parts hanging off of it (not well versed in rim quality, so I can't talk about that aspect of any of these bikes), and I for one would rather deal with a Rock Shox fork than a Suntour. With the reduced price, I'd do something with the brakes...I have a hardtail that I use and abuse, and I like the simplicity of mechanical brakes. That said, you sound like you want the hydro brakes, so you can leave them alone or upgrade them out of the "entry level" range.

Are you replacing the fork regardless of the bike?
    I thought at first to try this fork as far as I know fork Dart 2 is not so bad - at least because of its price is twice as much
    compared with forks Suntour, standing on bikes . Finally, I agree with you that Gazelle bike has pretty good components. Its price in 2009 was $ 1749. If I do not fit fork, I can change it on Rock Shox xc28 or xc32. With the brakes is the same. My friends who ride mountain bikes, say v-brake, actually does not brake, and that I should change them immediately after purchase, I disagree with that. Maybe I am wrong but in bike main thing for me is transmission, after that - the fork, after that tyres, and after that only brakes.
    I overlooked Gazelle and it is like a new bike. It's looks like that nobody ever riding it for the past years. And that is good for me. I watched it carefully and I can say that frame has better quality.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rontsse View Post
    I thought at first to try this fork as far as I know fork Dart 2 is not so bad - at least because of its price is twice as much
    compared with forks Suntour, standing on bikes . Finally, I agree with you that Gazelle bike has pretty good components. Its price in 2009 was $ 1749. If I do not fit fork, I can change it on Rock Shox xc28 or xc32. With the brakes is the same. My friends who ride mountain bikes, say v-brake, actually does not brake, and that I should change them immediately after purchase, I disagree with that. Maybe I am wrong but in bike main thing for me is transmission, after that - the fork, after that tyres, and after that only brakes.
    I overlooked Gazelle and it is like a new bike. It's looks like that nobody ever riding it for the past years. And that is good for me. I watched it carefully and I can say that frame has better quality.
    The rim brakes are alright...they did fine for the past 40 years of bike history, and nothing has changed. I would look to see if the seat-stays have the mounts for disc brake calipers, though. If you ever want to change the brakes to disc brakes, the frame will need a mounting point. Also, and not such a big issue, your fork will also need the mounts. Don't worry about this aspect for now, but make sure the frame has the mounts!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    The rim brakes are alright...they did fine for the past 40 years of bike history, and nothing has changed. I would look to see if the seat-stays have the mounts for disc brake calipers, though. If you ever want to change the brakes to disc brakes, the frame will need a mounting point. Also, and not such a big issue, your fork will also need the mounts. Don't worry about this aspect for now, but make sure the frame has the mounts!
    Thank you for the answer. After that I'll buy this bike. The best thing is that Gazelle has all mounts needed to change the brakes - the fork and the frame. So the choise is done. Thank you all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are a couple of things , first and most important is does the bike fit you? Going in with the idea that you will upgrade parts isn't a very good one. Either save up and buy a better bike or ride what you have and replace parts as they wear/break. I would say that 450$ is a little high for a 4 or 5 year old bike no matter what shape it is in, 300$ would be closer.Another think you need to check is the wheels ,do they have hubs that will take rotors? If mot then you are looking at replacing the wheels to get discs.Like CSC said rim brakes have been around and worked for along time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    There are a couple of things , first and most important is does the bike fit you? Going in with the idea that you will upgrade parts isn't a very good one. Either save up and buy a better bike or ride what you have and replace parts as they wear/break. I would say that 450$ is a little high for a 4 or 5 year old bike no matter what shape it is in, 300$ would be closer.Another think you need to check is the wheels ,do they have hubs that will take rotors? If mot then you are looking at replacing the wheels to get discs.Like CSC said rim brakes have been around and worked for along time.
    Thank you for the advice, but the new bike with such characteristics worth 1000$ the twice I can spend. So I haven't a big choise choosing bike (I can buy beginner Giant Revel 1, but it is definetely worse). Yes, it does fits me very good. The frame is exactly for my height. And Yes, the wheels have Shimano Deore Disc Hubs, so it does. But I read the reviews about alot of variable disc brakes and not all are positive,but also I read reviews about Deore v-brakes that are included here in Gazelle, and most of them are positive according to Deore BR-M530 Brake System Reviews
    So I think that they will be enough for me for the first time - riding mainly in the city parks when I'll going to my work.
    I like that bike even because there are about ten time written the word Deore .
    Another plus for that bike is that it's almoust new. There are no scratches, or signs of wearing the transmission, tyres etc.