1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

HELP with FOES FXR 2:1 rear shock

What is a good spring shock to replace my curnutt air shock in my foes fxr. Not alot of money to spend sometging under $200
    Last edited by warhead2002; 01-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    From what I remember, those bikes and shocks were kind of meant to go together (I had a hankering for one of them for awhile). The frame requires a shock tuned to handle a falling rate suspension design, which is kinda uncommon. I would spend some time on the Foes forum here - I'm sure you'll find some specific recommendations on what works well with it.

Foes
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just got my foes used and the rear shock feels stuck even with low psi. And its $150 to rebuild. So im looking at other alternatives

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm going to guess that something like a Fox DHX would be a decent bet as a replacement, at least one of the higher models with a good amount of adjustability. Seem to be available in your price range.

Fox Racing Shox DHX 5 0 Air Pro Pedal Rear Shock | eBay

I'd still do a little more research on the FXR in general before pulling the trigger though. Like I said, I believe your bike's got kind of an unconventional suspension action that was designed around a specifically tuned shock. I'm sure there are other shocks that will work, but I would look into it in a little more detail. You might find your best bet is doing the rebuild. You could also inquire directly to Foes and see what they recommend, or if they have any sort of trade-up program, etc.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by warhead2002 View Post
    What is a good spring shock to replace my curnutt air shock in my foes fxr. Not alot of money to spend sometging under $200
    I have fit both DHX coils and DHX air shocks to FXR's. Go look in the Foes Forum.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong