1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Smile Help fix my bike problem please

hi i was wondering if by looking at my specs can you tell me what to do to make my jamis feel more like the rock hopper. what could i change and change to without buying the rockhopper i feel to stretched out on my jamis and my neck gets sore.

here are the specs on both jamis and rockhopper eaven a kona felt better. my jamis durango is a 19 inch
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What size is the Rockhopper in question? First place to start would be a shorter stem and/or moving the seat forward. Maybe try a riser handlebar as well.

mtbr member

Smile

the rockhopper was a 19 inch also. id like to get my jamis 19 inch to feel like the rockhopper.
    my neck will thank me for it.

I post too much.
    Shorten the stem reach, maybe add some rise, slide seat forward on it's rails. If that still doesn't do it then it's time to change bikes.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well, looking up the geometry of the Jamis...its not that much different from the Rockhopper. I did notice that a 19" Jamis uses a 120mm stem. This seems long to me, and I'd be willing to bet that the Rockhopper is using a shorter stem (something like a 100mm maybe?). So as suggested above, start by using a shorter stem.

not your average bear
    May 2005
    The caveat with going to a shorter stem, is the bars may now feel too narrow. The suggestions above about shorter stem _combined_ with riser bars is a good one. Riser bars are sold as wider than flat bars--this would solve roosterboy's probs.

mtbr member

Smile

thanks guys makes good sense i tried finding the same type of handlebars and stem online

here is the rock hoppers specs

STEM Specialized 3D forged alloy, four bolt, 31.8mm, 7 degree rise

HANDLEBARS Alloy 31.8mm XC rise, 640mm wide, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.0mm thick

i cant seem to find a perfect match with the online stores but maybe i will try a 90mm stem and 8deg riser bar that's 640mm wide.

thanks
    Jason

Newbie Rider
    Mar 2007
    I know it is cheaper to shop online, but you should really go get a few of your components at your Local Bike Shop and they would probably help fit your bike to you pretty cheap.

Your problem is probably less related to your parts and more to your cockpit setup. A good bike shop will know exactly how to set you up and could save you a lot of time and $$'s switching out components.