1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Help with Fit of New Bike

I just bought a Trek 4300 DISC. I am a new rider who will be mainly on bike paths but will progress to some offroad stuff. I like having my handle bars closer to the level of the seat for comfort but I'd like to get a little more aggressive. Does anyone know if the handlebars can be lowered a few inches?

Thanks!
    - Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Different stem

Replace the rise handle bars with flat bar

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

spacers

Usually there are multiple spacer rings between the headset and the stem. Last resort if you can't get it low enough with a stem or bar change, take some spacers out. You might have to cut the steer tube on your fork as a result.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]