1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

help with first hub build

ok, im trying to build a rear hub for my trek. i picked out the hub...http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Rear+Hub.aspx

i know i need a cog, but what kind and what else do i need?

mtbr member
    You'll need a rim, correct length spokes, nipples, a truing stand, a spoke wrench, and knowledge on how to build wheels.

...and by "cog" I think you mean a cassette.

You may also need, rim tape, tube and tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    You'll need a rim, correct length spokes, nipples, a truing stand, a spoke wrench, and knowledge on how to build wheels.

...and by "cog" I think you mean a cassette.

You may also need, rim tape, tube and tire.
    thanx bro! i dont have a stand, i usually straighten my rims by eye
    ill have my LBS guy do it, he can do it in 20 mins

mtbr member
    One important thing is to calculate the length of spokes needed for the build. If you plan on ordering the spokes you'll need to have the measurements of the rim and hub for the calculation.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DubSixxer
    thanx bro! i dont have a stand, i usually straighten my rims by eye
    ill have my LBS guy do it, he can do it in 20 mins
    a 20minute build??
    Screw that!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    you'd have to be nuts to build a wheel around a deore hub! for half the price of what its going to cost you, you could have just bought the whole wheel.

http://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/ind...d&productId=33

Picture Unrelated
    Yeah really, just buy a wheel and be done with it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    spend 64 more dollars and buy these http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx.

mtbr member
    Uh, I built my own wheels for the experience. I could have bought a new wheel for cheaper.

20minutes? Try 2hrs minimum. (well, for a "skilled" newb)

It takes about 20 minutes to lace the rims/hub properly. Then it takes the next hour or so taking very small adjustments and repeating and repeating to get the correct dish, lateral and radial true. Did I mention small adjustments? And repeating? And repeating with small adjustments? Get the correct tension. And then small adjustments. and repeating small adjustments...
    Just get out and ride!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    Uh, I built my own wheels for the experience. I could have bought a new wheel for cheaper.

20minutes? Try 2hrs minimum. (well, for a "skilled" newb)

It takes about 20 minutes to lace the rims/hub properly. Then it takes the next hour or so taking very small adjustments and repeating and repeating to get the correct dish, lateral and radial true. Did I mention small adjustments? And repeating? And repeating with small adjustments? Get the correct tension. And then small adjustments. and repeating small adjustments...
    there are also some small adjustments to be made as well, too
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    Uh, I built my own wheels for the experience. I could have bought a new wheel for cheaper..
    they do come apart after they're built up. just saves money buying it complete, you can always tear it back down to separate components and learn to build it up.

ive disassembled and rebuilt all my machine built wheels. they're usually too poorly built to just tension up, easier to restart from scratch! plus its a good way to learn to build a wheel.

after you build them up, would you guys they they need... small adjustments?

usually cranky
    decore hubs are fine and all but why buy one aftermarket?

Is there a good story as to what happened to the old rear wheel?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Is there a good story as to what happened to the old rear wheel?
    yeah haha, down hill at 40mph at the power lines. launched over a rut and i landed back wheel first, i tired to land both at the same time, but it was very sandy, i didn't want to land front first haha. i also did a wheelie off a 2foot ledge. im 176 so yeah...

mtbr member
    so is this the way to go? is the rest of the bike okay? im not going to upgrade the rear derailleur. those snap if they are $25 or $250

So the old hub was somehow trashed? Sounds more like the rim and maybe spokes were...hard to say, though. I'd agree that buying a new wheel/wheelset would likely be cheaper/easier, though.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So the old hub was somehow trashed? Sounds more like the rim and maybe spokes were...hard to say, though. I'd agree that buying a new wheel/wheelset would likely be cheaper/easier, though.
    yes, ive snapped 2 axles and im on my third. its bent bad. alignment is all messed up. the freewheel that's on it is trashed. the freewheel on my dk is junk too, but its alot stronger. no broken axles there. =]