1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Help with eggbeaters!!

So I decided to try clipless pedals and I went with the eggbeaters. I also bought the shimano mt42nv shoes to go with the pedals. The problem came when clipping in ,it was very difficult, clipping out was easy. I read up that I can use a sanding wheel to take off some of the sole of the shoe but I apparently took off too much. Now clipping in is alot easier but the shoe does not make contact with the pedal causing too much play which feels kinda unsafe. Can anyone recommend me a shoe that works well with the eggbeaters??

T.W.O.
    Any shoes would be ok I have CB pedals and I use Shimano shoes, I shaved a bit off each side but later I switch to the CB premium cleats no clearance issues at all.

Made in Canada
    Sette Element shoes work perfectly without modification on eggbeaters and Mallet C's in my experience. They're also a good price.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use t hat shoe on Mallets without a problem. Did you use the plastic spacer under the cleat?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I use t hat shoe on Mallets without a problem. Did you use the plastic spacer under the cleat?
    I'm not sure if it was a spacer or a sole protector but I put the little plastic black "spacer" between the show and the cleat.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpm7 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was a spacer or a sole protector but I put the little plastic black "spacer" between the show and the cleat.

You could also fashion a plate out of thin plastic to go between the shoe and the pedal to reduce that extra play you have.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    On the same topic sorta i am going to be buying some pedals for my bike. 1st time clipless. Is there any reason to go with the egg beaters over a more platformed type of pedal. Also the prices are pretty spread out as pedals go. If you have any suggestion on a good quality for good price pedal let me know.

addicted
    If the shoe treads are not contacting the sides of the pedal body remove the shim from under the cleat. There needs to be a little bit of contact on the tread to keep everything tight and stable. It might take a few rides for everything to break-in and mesh together. There shouldn't be a lot of sanding/cutting required for most of the shoes on the market.

mtbr member
    This guide from crank brothers will help you clipping in to the pedal. My favorite method so far is #2, but I think I need to try #3 too.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB-er View Post
    On the same topic sorta i am going to be buying some pedals for my bike. 1st time clipless. Is there any reason to go with the egg beaters over a more platformed type of pedal. Also the prices are pretty spread out as pedals go. If you have any suggestion on a good quality for good price pedal let me know.

I just prefer Shmano's system of SPD pedals. Start out with some Shimano shoes, and some SPD 520 pedals, and you should be golden for a few years, at least. .

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the input. I was looking at those pedals and they seemed like a good price i am glad to have your recommendation as well. Should i buy the multi-release cleats or are the normal cleats just fine once you get comfortable?