1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Help choosing a bike

I am looking to upgrade from my 10" frame Schwinn Speedster hardtail. I have had it for 7 years and it is begining to give me troubles (dented rim, chain coming off, faulty derailers, too small). I am looking at the 2006 Iron Horse Warrior (trail or pro) or the more avaliable 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 6.0 (same as pro). My father wants me to buy locally and he likes a Specialized Rockhopper. The Warriors are $570-$800, while the Rockhopper is $1300. I want something with full suspension and disk brakes that can take a beating. I ride almost every day, between 8 and 20 miles, usually on fire trails. I love going over obstacles, but have never done anything as extreme as a 3' drop, although I hope to soon.

Here is my question: Is the rockhoper actually better? If so, in what ways?

I do not know exactly what model the rockhopper is, but here are the specs for the Warrior Pro:

* Frame: 5-inch travel trail dual suspension, single pivot with sealed bearings, 1-1/8-inch Zero Stack headtube, replaceable derailleur hanger, international disc brake mount
    * Rear shock: Fox Vanilla R coil, 7.5 x 2 inches
    * Fork: Manitou Splice Comp, 130mm travel
    * Handlebar: TruVativ Le Low rise, 31.8mm clamp
    * Stem: TruVativ XR 3D, 31.8mm clamp
    * Headset: Zero stack
    * BB: FSA MegaExo
    * Crank: FSA Gamma
    * Rings: 44/32/22T steel
    * Pedals: Alloy platform
    * Chain: Shimano HG-73
    * Saddle: WTB Pure V Sport
    * Seat post: Alloy micro adjust
    * Front hub: Alloy disc, 32H
    * Rear hub: Alloy disc, 32H
    * Front derailleur: Shimano Deore
    * Rear derailleur: SRAM X.7
    * Shifter: SRAM X.7 trigger
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9 speed
    * Brakes: Avid BB5 with 6-inch rotor
    * Brake lever: Avid FR-5
    * Rim: WTB SX-24
    * Spokes: 14G stainless black
    * Tires: WTB Weirwolf, 2.35 inches
    * Colors: Acid green
    * Sizes: 15, 17, 19, and 21 inches

Thank you for all of your help.

MTBR Member
    Well the Rockhopper is a hardtail so if you're looking full suspension that would be out. Are those Ironhorses you are looking at new? Also are they from some online seller? I would seriously think about getting it from a local bike shop especially if you are not that experienced with keeping everything in working order. They can help out a lot and you will probably also get a year of free service through an LBS. Also if you are looking full suspension you might be looking to spend a little more. There is the '08 Giant yukon fx that you can pick up for around $800...full suspension and good components for the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Rockhopper is Full-suspension. I would order the Iron Horse online and new, but I do have some experience in mechanics and can have all the nessecary tools.

I can get a Iron Horse Warrior 6.0 07' at a local shop, but only in the 15.5" size and I am 5'6" and growing.

MTBR Member
    Where is this full suspension rockhopper b/c i have never seen one. I think you might be thinking of the the stumpjumper and you are not going to find a specialized full suspension for $1300 unless it is used of course. Yeah sounds like you should definitely go with the a 17.5"/medium frame. Also you will probably get more bang for your buck as far as components go with something similar to the Ironhorse. Have you taken that ironhorse for a ride? Even though its not going to be the size you are looking for you could still get a good feel for the bike and then order a larger frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I am wondering about the frame size. I just tried out a 15.5" Norco and it felt very sluggish when trying to do wheelies and bunnyhops. It might have been because of the weight or the shocks might have been too loose, but I am concerned to buy anything bigger.

Also, the stores aruond me don't have the 15.5" in stock, I'd have to order it online and have them ship it to the store.

MTBR Member
    How did the 15.5" iron horse ride? or did the shop sell that one? Also how old are you? If you are planning on getting something to ride aggressively, big drops and such, you should get the smaller frame that will be more easy for you to throw around. But, if you just plan on getting back into it easy riding some nice xc trails and such I would get the bike you can grow into over the next couple of years. If you go smaller you might even want to look around for a good used full suspension(something that doesn't break the bank) being that you could possibly be going bigger in the next couple of years or so..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I figure if I get the 15.5" Iron Horse, I can always upgrade it later.

My father wants to know which bike is best:
    $1300 DS Stuntjumper by Specialized
    $1300 Norco (unkown model)
    $1200 Iron Horse Warrior 6.0 (2007 version of 2006 warrior pro)

mtbr member
    Did a little homework for you. These bikes are quite different from eachother.

$1300 DS Stuntjumper by Specialized
    No such thing (at that price point). Specialized has a full suspension model at $1300 called the FSRxc.

$1300 Norco (unkown model)
    This is probably the B-Line

$1200 Iron Horse Warrior 6.0 (2007 version of 2006 warrior pro)
    Sorry, no direct link. Damn Flash sites.

Of all these offerings, I feel like you'd enjoy the Iron Horse more. It's quite a deal, even if you find it for the list price of $1,199. The Specialized FSRxc is more of a cross country setup, and if you really want to get into bigger hits, or all-mountain riding, you'll be wishing you had gone with the IronHorse, which -- while not as speedy as the FSRxc -- will fit your "3-foot drop" riding style. The Norco doesn't impress me at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks. Do you think a 15.5" Iron Horse would fit me @ 5'8"?

MTBR Member
    Here is a pretty sweet deal on the 07 Iron Horse 6.0 http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050
    I'm not sure where you live but there may be a few Performance Bicycle shops in your state. That bike is going to give you better parts overall and it looks like a stronger frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all your help. it looks like I am geting the Iron Horse. One last question, I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam. If I grow to be 6', will a 15.5" still fit me for freeriding? Here are the dimensions:
    HA-70
    SA-73"
    EFFTT-21.5"
    CS-16.9"
    WB-41.4"
    BB-13.2"

Note: I tend to prefer a smaller bike (riding a 10" now).

MTBR Member
    That is a tough call...personally I think you would be pretty cramped if you were 6 foot riding on a 15.5" especially if you are trying to do any type XC riding. I am about 5'10-5'11 and I ride a 19" frame but I only ride XC. No big jumps so I don't have the need for a smaller more maneuverable frame. A 17.5" frame would be much more comfortable at that size for your style of riding. Are you planning on going out to Performance Bicycle? I would see what those guys say. Good luck with picking out the new ride.

spec4life???..smh...
    Im 5'8" with 30" inseam and I ride a 15 inch spec hardrock and it fits pretty well, but the 17 was way to big...tough call all bike brands fit a little diffrent...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Alright, I just ordered the Iron Horse Warrior 6.0 from Performance. Even to a store, they charged me $43 to ship because it was "overweight" (over 12lb) and they taxed me on the shipping, but I used the 4th of July cupon code (yes, it works on bikes), so it came out to be $820. I won't get to ride it til August, because I will be on a trip when it arrives, but expect a review.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui'lan Fett
    Alright, I just ordered the Iron Horse Warrior 6.0 from Performance. Even to a store, they charged me $43 to ship because it was "overweight" (over 12lb) and they taxed me on the shipping, but I used the 4th of July cupon code (yes, it works on bikes), so it came out to be $820. I won't get to ride it til August, because I will be on a trip when it arrives, but expect a review.
    What size did you end up getting? Good luck with the ride....I think you will enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    15.5 and proud. I figure if I am 5'6" now and ride a 10", a 15" will fit me for a long time.