1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Help with changing brake levers

I was on a ride last week and had a crash and my brake lever snapped. It did not mess up anything but the lever, I can pull what is left of the lever and the brakes still work good.

I have a 2013 Trek Mamba with Hayes Dyno Sport Hydrolic disc brakes.

I looked on Hayes website and saw these.

Carbon Lever | Hayes Disc Brake

Only question I really have is how to take the old lever off and put these on. I was looking at the brake assembly tonight and could not quite figure it out. Has anyone done this before?

If you look at the picture on this link

Dyno Sport | Hayes Disc Brake

You can see the black part that is screwed on, when I took this top off I could see the part where the lever pivots at but did not know how to release the lever or take it off.

Thanks for the help in advance

mtbr member
    I did a lever replacement once on a old set of Hayes on my son's DH bike, is tricky but doable. Don't recall the model (HFX Carbon?) but the lever was attached to the body with a bolt and to a push rod in the master cylinder with a nut inside the lever. You screw in the push rod and then attach the lever to the body.

Verify that the carbon lever is compatible with your body, sometimes they do but sometimes they don't.